[Az-Geocaching] Re: New Numbering System?

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:40:52 -0700

> > I recall reading a while back that they were going to drop
characters
> > like I and O to avoid confusion with 1 and 0. I think they were
dropping
> > a few others and bringing it down to base 31 or 32. There was also
> > mention that they would reject or ignore certain specific IDs that
might
> > be considered inappropriate (something like "GCSEX" might be on that
> > list).
>
> WOW! what a pain that will be to try and duplicate...  I wouldn't even
> try and take out the swear words, there are just too many that you can
> come up with, especially being an international thing.  I came up time
> at least 20 of the in a minute.

For your reading pleasure, I found the thread where Elias (he's a
programmer at Groundspeak) discusses the design of the changeover:
http://tinyurl.com/aa7o. Further down in the thread is a discussion of
"GCGSEX". Elias says that he'll "drop the S". It isn't quite as clear to
me on re-reading just what ID "censorship", if any, they are actually
doing.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena