[Az-Geocaching] Bacon Cache Trip Report

Jerry Nelson listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 20:09:59 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_00E3_01C309D4.515138A0

Two days ago I headed to an anticipated first find of the new Bacon =
Cache in Squaw Peak Park in Phoenix placed by General Ursus.  At a point =
about .14 miles from its location the trail changed to an unsigned, =
unnumbered route that caused me to hesitate.  A few years ago I'd been =
embarrassed in front of a crowd when a SPP ranger yelled at me over his =
car speaker to get my bottom down from a location he thought was not =
correct. I suppose I was left with a greater than average consciousness =
of trail legality.  Not a bad thing generally.

The General and I were not getting identical reports from officials =
about whether open but unsigned trails were legal. After exchanging a =
couple brief e-mails and his consequent asking on this listserv for the =
opinions of others regarding this placement, I decided that the trail =
might be alright after all, so made a second try this morning.  Thanks =
to Highpointer and RTW for their responses, allowing me to get this one =
guilt free. The route, although maybe not as "official" as others in the =
area, appears to be used regularly and  I'll now consider it OK unless I =
hear otherwise.    I still made a first find, even though this has been =
in place for ten days.

The trail issue aside, I have to report that this is an excellent cache. =
It's a beautiful location, well hidden, requiring absolutely no =
searching in off route areas.  Even the container is nicely constructed. =
 Wear your hiking boots and be prepared for some loose slopes.  If you =
like caches that require a bit of exercise and have outstanding views, =
you're bound to enjoy this. =20

The General made a good first hide.  Thank you, SIR!  (salute :o) )

Jerry
Offtrail

------=_NextPart_000_00E3_01C309D4.515138A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3>Two days ago I=20
headed to an anticipated first find of&nbsp;the new Bacon Cache in Squaw =
Peak=20
Park in Phoenix&nbsp;placed by General Ursus.&nbsp; At a point about .14 =
miles=20
from its location the trail changed to an unsigned, unnumbered route =
that caused=20
me to hesitate.&nbsp; A few years ago I'd been embarrassed in front of a =
crowd=20
when a SPP&nbsp;ranger yelled at me over his car speaker to get my =
bottom down=20
from a location he thought was not correct. I suppose I was left with a =
greater=20
than average consciousness of trail legality.&nbsp; Not a bad thing=20
generally.<BR><BR>The General and I were not&nbsp;getting identical =
reports from=20
officials&nbsp;about whether open but unsigned trails were =
legal.&nbsp;After=20
exchanging a&nbsp;couple brief e-mails and his consequent asking on this =

listserv for the opinions of others regarding this placement, I decided =
that the=20
trail might be alright after all, so made a second try this=20
morning.&nbsp;&nbsp;Thanks to Highpointer and RTW for their responses, =
allowing=20
me to get this one guilt free. The route, although maybe not as =
"official" as=20
others in the area, appears to be used regularly and&nbsp; I'll now =
consider it=20
OK unless I hear otherwise.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I still made a first find, =
even=20
though this has been in place for ten days.<BR><BR>The trail issue =
aside, I have=20
to report that this is an excellent cache. It's a beautiful location, =
well=20
hidden, requiring absolutely no searching in off route areas.&nbsp; Even =
the=20
container is nicely constructed.&nbsp; Wear your hiking boots and be =
prepared=20
for some loose slopes.&nbsp; If you like caches that require a bit of =
exercise=20
and have outstanding views, you're bound to enjoy this.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></FONT><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =

size=3D3><BR></FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><FONT face=3D"Times New Roman" =
size=3D3>The General=20
made a good first hide.&nbsp; Thank you, SIR!&nbsp; (salute :o)=20
)<BR><BR>Jerry<BR>Offtrail</FONT><BR><BR></DIV></FONT></FONT></DIV></BODY=