[Az-Geocaching] Cache placement

T. Hernlund listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 18:03:08 -0700

Hello all!  New to this list.

It was suggested to me that I post this question here to get some feedback.

I recently placed my first cache at the Squaw Peak Park in a location that I
have frequented for some time.  Today it was brought to my attention that
the trail this cache is placed on is "unsigned", meaning does not have the a
number designation.  As anyone who's hiked SPP in the past knows, these
trails are all over.

This particular one isn't just a little overgrown coyote trail like some,
but it is a very clear foot-trafficked trail all the way to the cache.  In
one place it's steep and as such isn't "paved", but resumes after that point
and is still fairly obvious.  It's even clear enough to see on a 6-year-old
aerial photo.

I asked rangers and they are vague on the whole thing.  While I'm sure they
know the trails, they don't seem to put much thought into the location on my
cache or even if they know what the hell it is.  They just basically recite
the ordinance and say "No trailblazing" in a public service sort of way.
The two I've spoken to wouldn't really give me a straight answer, but rather
gave the canned "public service announcement".

My contention it that I'm not trailblazing as there is a clear trail.  The
fact remains however that it's not a numbered trail.  I would have never
even thought it was off-limits, and still don't.  But like I said someone
brought it up to me that they thought some may see it differently.  Hence I
ask the community (you).

Given my description and the fact that it's not numbered, should I leave it
or retrieve it?  The page is here...

Given the location of some other caches around SP (of which I used as a
guide in this placement), I'm very inclined to leave mine where it's at.
However if I get a chewing here then I'll probably be getting rid of it.

Thanks for and feedback.

-T.