[Az-Geocaching] Re:No finds.

Aus Dem Kasten listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 19 Apr 2003 00:29:43 -0700

This is a good point.  Had we not had a mentor (Tamo) introduce us to
geocaching, I can not say that we would have immediately recognized the
importance of communication in this sport.

As I stated earlier, I believe it is critical that people notify the
cache owner if they made an honest effort to locate a cache
unsuccessfully.  Whether, it is logged as a "no-find", or just a note,
communicating this can only improve the awareness of the status of a
cache.

I know that I had stated that if I were to drive up to a cache location
and quickly conclude that searching for the cache would be useless based
on how populated the area was (or other reasons), that it would be
pointless for us to log or make a note that we did not find the cache.
Why log "We drove up to the cache site but there were too many people
there. We could not see the cache from the car, so we moved on"?   This
type of log seemed pointless to me.  I must retract that statement
because, as Tamo stated, not logging this type of experience does in
fact disallow the cache owner the knowledge that someone is interested
in finding their cache.

A perfect example of this, for us, was when Highpointer made a note on
one of our caches stating that he did not find the cache because the
site was too heavily populated at the time and was in a spot that would
not allow him to be inconspicuous.  We enjoyed just knowing that another
team was interested in locating our cache, and have also been
reconsidering the exact location based on that note.  It is a courtesy
that Tamo's Clan'Destiny, Highpointer and other teams have performed
that we really appreciate; a courtesy that we will make an effort to
perform in the future.

Aus Dem Kasten