[Az-Geocaching] Re: glendale Geocaches

Scott Sparks listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:20:54 -0700

>lets see if you place a cache and it goes unfound for like 6 months do you
>think the owner even if around really cares??
>

>ok - you got me on that one - but this one might be worth keeping. do
>you know how to x-fer it to someone else that would?

I'm not sure if this would be right, or even legal.  Technically, all
caches are the private property of the owner.  When someone places a
cache and lists it for the geocaching community they are effectively saying,

     Here.  I hid this.  See if you can find it and if you want, trade
an item in it.

They are _not_ saying,

    Here. I hid this.  If you don't hear from me in 6 months, feel free
to take it over and do what you want with it.

 I agree that cache owners should be more responsible in maintaining an
active cache but, who's to say this cache isn't being maintained?  I
also agree if there have been multiple attempts to contact the owner
without results, there may be a problem. On the other hand, perhaps the
owner is a member of the armed services and, when called to active duty,
may have had other more important issues to deal with than a particular
cache that he/she hid. (Just an example) I suggest that someone who has
actually found the cache go back and verify it is still there.  Someone
has already volunteered to do this, I believe.  If it's still there,
great.  Problem solved.  If not, he/she should log it as  CACHE SHOULD
BE ARCHIVED.  Then every attempt should be made to contact the owner
over a period of time.   Or, if someone wants to take it over, lets
decide how to go about it then.  This ought to be the last step in the
process though.

-- Sprocket