[Az-Geocaching] Just wondering, please no fighting

Andrew Ayre listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 08:30:48 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C30004.A7AC1E10

Well its quite simple really. The current system (1 star) is IMO inadequate
because is relies on the hider knowing what "handicap accessible" really
means, and lets face it - most people don't have a clue. If you go to the
clayjar cache rating sysem thingmyjig, it describes 1 star as being
wheelchair accessible. This is a perfect example IMO of someone writing an
attempt at a handicap description and not having a clue. People in
wheelchairs can often go further and longer than someone on crutches. IMO
its a crude attempt at finding the "lowest common denominator".

So rather than that, I think hiders should use some kind of guided questions
or format to create an accurate textual (not stars!) description of surface
type, inclines, height of cache off ground, whether you have to reach into a
bush to find it, flat or inclined parking, etc. Armed with this information
handicapped people can make up their own minds whether they can do it with
their particular set of disabilities, and hiders don't have to try and take
into account what little they often know about a massive range of different
limitations that fall under the broad description of "handicapped".

This information is obviously a spoiler for everyone else and could give
away the hiding location in most instances. So this description needs to be
encrypted like the hints or require clicking on a seperate link to view it,
so non-handicapped people can ignore it.

Finally, it should be possible to search based on this description or view
just this description of all the nearest caches on a summary page, so
handicapped people can quickly scan through the list, read and find the ones
they can do - similar to what most of us probably do right now with the
stars to some degree.

Pros: allows handicapped people to quickly identify which caches they can do
and be included more in the fun of geocaching

Cons: takes away some of the fun of finding the cache because the
description will likely give away the location.

This is the best I can come up with. I'll be adding something like this to
the caches I've hidden when I get time.

Background: my wife is handicapped and often requires the use of crutches
and a wheelchair. I have found it very tough to work out which caches we can
do together and so far its been mostly urban ones. Its very dissapointing to
get out in the backcountry to find a cache that should be ok for her on
paper and on topo maps (I use the 3D function, profile function and distance
measuring in Terrain Naviagator to try to assess the terrain) and find that
she cannot do it.

If anyone has a better idea, I would love to hear it. Suggesting similar
things to the above idea on the forums at geocaching.com has been a waste of
time based on the responses it gets. IMO geocaching.com falls  completely
short of attempting to include handicapped people and I don't think it would
require much effort to implement something (anything!) better.
Andy