[Az-Geocaching] For the Caching gods

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:58:29 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C2FF69.43C30B20

Okay, I too am now upset!  I just sent notes to Ken about my displeasure =
about not being able to read new posts to his caches that I had found pri=
or to him changing them over to Members Only caches.  I also expressed my=
 feelings about how the change has affected the stats (it took two of my =
finds and moved them over to "out-of-state" finds).  I'm like Scott - I w=
ill not seek "out-of-state" caches!  I too enjoy the numbers game!

Ken explained to me his feelings about why dedicated geocachers should be=
come Premium Members and suggested that I too become a member.   I respon=
ded with my feelings and why I cannot afford to become a member at this t=
ime.

Ken sounds very strong in his reasoning and beliefs.  I did suggest to hi=
m that if he is so convicted to his feelings, that maybe he should boycot=
t enjoying any non-members caches.  =20

Is it fair for someone to limit their caches to "members only" - but in t=
urn goes out and finds regular caches!?  (Hypocrisy?)

Rand (RandMan)  =20

      =20

----- Original Message -----
From: Scott Nicol
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 9:49 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] For the Caching gods

Ok. I don't usually fuss with much, but this one definetly irritates me. =
I =20
am one of those 'numbers' cachers. I do enjoy looking at the stats and th=
e =20
numbers (for my own pleasure of course, not for competitive purposes). I =
am =20
a bit annoyed that 9 of my in state cache finds now show up as out of sta=
te.

This is the result of 8 AZ caches becoming 'members only' caches. These a=
re =20
caches that previously (when I found them), where not MO. What happens is=
 =20
that the AZgeocaching.com site is not a member, therefore it doesnt crawl=
 =20
the MO cache pages. (that is what I have heard anyways). At any rate, the=
 AZ =20
stats doesnt recognize Arizona MO caches and they show up in the out of =20
state file. (anyone who knows me knows that I have 0 out of state finds a=
nd =20
probably always will!).

I personally beleive that if a cache is started out as a 'free' cache, it=
 =20
should remain that way for the life of the cache. If someone chooses to m=
ake =20
their caches members only, they should do so with only the new caches tha=
t =20
they place and not turn all their old caches into MO caches. I know =20
Highpointer recently commented on this on the listserve a few days ago an=
d =20
that he was going to change his caches over to MO. I understand his views=
 on =20
the subject. However, Highpointer...I feel you should keep your old cache=
s =20
open to all and if you want members only, perhaps only turn your new ones=
 =20
into MO. The other problem I have with old caches changing into MO... I n=
o =20
longer can look back on those caches and read my logs (diary if you will)=
 of =20
my experiences at those caches (as I am not a member of geocaching.com; t=
hat =20
is a whole nuther' thread, I am sure!). I hope Highpointer will reconside=
r =20
changing his old caches back to non-MO.

I have always enjoyed doing Highpointer's caches, he hides some good ones=
. I =20
also very much appreciate his seeking my cache on Stewart Mountain and th=
e =20
comments he left there. I think me and Highpointer share many of the same=
 =20
views on geocaching and enjoy doing the same types of caches.

I guess I will not be able to do anymore of Highpointer's caches as I am =
not =20
a member of geocaching.com. However, I have no problem with his making hi=
s =20
new caches MO, Members Only caches are available as an option to members =
of =20
geocaching.com and that is an option that is available to him to use if h=
e =20
chooses to. I just wish he would reconsider and keep his older caches ope=
n =20
to all.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C2FF69.43C30B20

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><STRONG>Okay, =
I too am now upset!</STRONG>&nbsp; I&nbsp;just sent&nbsp;notes to Ken abo=
ut my displeasure about not being able to read new posts to his caches th=
at I had found prior to him changing them over to&nbsp;Members Only&nbsp;=
caches.&nbsp;&nbsp;I also expressed my feelings about how the&nbsp;change=
&nbsp;has affected the stats (it took two of my finds and moved them over=
 to "out-of-state" finds).&nbsp; I'm like Scott -&nbsp;I will not seek "o=
ut-of-state" caches!&nbsp; I too&nbsp;enjoy the numbers game!</DIV> <DIV>=
&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Ken explained to me his feelings about&nbsp;why&nbsp;<U=
>dedicated</U> geocachers should&nbsp;become Premium Members and suggeste=
d that I&nbsp;too become a&nbsp;member. &nbsp; I responded&nbsp;with my f=
eelings and why I cannot afford to&nbsp;become a member at this time.</DI=
V> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Ken&nbsp;sounds very strong in his reasoning an=
d beliefs.&nbsp; I did suggest to him that if he is so convicted to his f=
eelings, that maybe he should boycott enjoying any non-members caches.&nb=
sp;&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Is it fair for someone to limit th=
eir caches to "members only" - but in turn&nbsp;goes out and finds regula=
r caches!?&nbsp; (Hypocrisy?)</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Rand (RandMan)=
&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-R=
IGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px =
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original=
 Message -----</DIV> <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial;=
 COLOR: black"><B>From:</B> Scott Nicol</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Ar=
ial"><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, April 10, 2003 9:49 AM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FO=
NT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> listserv@azgeocaching.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D"=
FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Az-Geocaching] For the Caching god=
s</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><BR><BR>Ok. I don't usually fuss with much, but =
this one definetly irritates me. I <BR>am one of those 'numbers' cachers.=
 I do enjoy looking at the stats and the <BR>numbers (for my own pleasure=
 of course, not for competitive purposes). I am <BR>a bit annoyed that 9 =
of my in state cache finds now show up as out of state.<BR><BR>This is th=
e result of 8 AZ caches becoming 'members only' caches. These are <BR>cac=
hes that previously (when I found them), where not MO. What happens is <B=
R>that the AZgeocaching.com site is not a member, therefore it doesnt cra=
wl <BR>the MO cache pages. (that is what I have heard anyways). At any ra=
te, the AZ <BR>stats doesnt recognize Arizona MO caches and they show up =
in the out of <BR>state file. (anyone who knows me knows that I have 0 ou=
t of state finds and <BR>probably always will!).<BR><BR>I personally bele=
ive that if a cache is started out as a 'free' cache, it <BR>should remai=
n that way for the life of the cache. If someone chooses to make <BR>thei=
r caches members only, they should do so with only the new caches that <B=
R>they place and not turn all their old caches into MO caches. I know <BR=
>Highpointer recently commented on this on the listserve a few days ago a=
nd <BR>that he was going to change his caches over to MO. I understand hi=
s views on <BR>the subject. However, Highpointer...I feel you should keep=
 your old caches <BR>open to all and if you want members only, perhaps on=
ly turn your new ones <BR>into MO. The other problem I have with old cach=
es changing into MO... I no <BR>longer can look back on those caches and =
read my logs (diary if you will) of <BR>my experiences at those caches (a=
s I am not a member of geocaching.com; that <BR>is a whole nuther' thread=
, I am sure!). I hope Highpointer will reconsider <BR>changing his old ca=
ches back to non-MO.<BR><BR>I have always enjoyed doing Highpointer's cac=
hes, he hides some good ones. I <BR>also very much appreciate his seeking=
 my cache on Stewart Mountain and the <BR>comments he left there. I think=
 me and Highpointer share many of the same <BR>views on geocaching and en=
joy doing the same types of caches.<BR><BR>I guess I will not be able to =
do anymore of Highpointer's caches as I am not <BR>a member of geocaching=
.com. However, I have no problem with his making his <BR>new caches MO, M=
embers Only caches are available as an option to members of <BR>geocachin=
g.com and that is an option that is available to him to use if he <BR>cho=
oses to. I just wish he would reconsider and keep his older caches open <=
BR>to all.<BR><BR>Scott<BR>Team Ropingthewind<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>=
</BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0008_01C2FF69.43C30B20--