[Az-Geocaching] For the Caching gods

Jason Poulter listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:55:22 -0700

Scott Nicol wrote:

> Ok. I don't usually fuss with much, but this one definetly irritates me.
> I am one of those 'numbers' cachers. I do enjoy looking at the stats and
> the numbers (for my own pleasure of course, not for competitive
> purposes). I am a bit annoyed that 9 of my in state cache finds now show
> up as out of state.

this is correct!!!

> This is the result of 8 AZ caches becoming 'members only' caches. These
> are caches that previously (when I found them), where not MO. What
> happens is that the AZgeocaching.com site is not a member, therefore it
> doesnt crawl the MO cache pages. (that is what I have heard anyways). At
> any rate, the AZ stats doesnt recognize Arizona MO caches and they show
> up in the out of state file. (anyone who knows me knows that I have 0
> out of state finds and probably always will!).

we are a member!!! and we could crawl the member caches but we have not
figured out an ethical way to do this.... if a cache is a members only
then we can not go in and rip out the data and give it to everyone else
here on AzGeocaching.com for free....

one thing we considered is just pulling the cache stats... but not
actually divulging the cache corrdinates or description... etc....

what do you peoples think...???

jason
snaptek
azgeocahing.com