[Az-Geocaching] For the Caching gods

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:32:56 -0700

Ok. I don't usually fuss with much, but this one definetly irritates me. I
am one of those 'numbers' cachers. I do enjoy looking at the stats and the
numbers (for my own pleasure of course, not for competitive purposes). I am
a bit annoyed that 9 of my in state cache finds now show up as out of state.

This is the result of 8 AZ caches becoming 'members only' caches. These are
caches that previously (when I found them), where not MO. What happens is
that the AZgeocaching.com site is not a member, therefore it doesnt crawl
the MO cache pages. (that is what I have heard anyways). At any rate, the AZ
stats doesnt recognize Arizona MO caches and they show up in the out of
state file. (anyone who knows me knows that I have 0 out of state finds and
probably always will!).

I personally beleive that if a cache is started out as a 'free' cache, it
should remain that way for the life of the cache. If someone chooses to make
their caches members only, they should do so with only the new caches that
they place and not turn all their old caches into MO caches. I know
Highpointer recently commented on this on the listserve a few days ago and
that he was going to change his caches over to MO. I understand his views on
the subject. However, Highpointer...I feel you should keep your old caches
open to all and if you want members only, perhaps only turn your new ones
into MO. The other problem I have with old caches changing into MO... I no
longer can look back on those caches and read my logs (diary if you will) of
my experiences at those caches (as I am not a member of geocaching.com; that
is a whole nuther' thread, I am sure!). I hope Highpointer will reconsider
changing his old caches back to non-MO.

I have always enjoyed doing Highpointer's caches, he hides some good ones. I
also very much appreciate his seeking my cache on Stewart Mountain and the
comments he left there. I think me and Highpointer share many of the same
views on geocaching and enjoy doing the same types of caches.

I guess I will not be able to do anymore of Highpointer's caches as I am not
a member of geocaching.com. However, I have no problem with his making his
new caches MO, Members Only caches are available as an option to members of
geocaching.com and that is an option that is available to him to use if he
chooses to. I just wish he would reconsider and keep his older caches open
to all.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind