[Az-Geocaching] GPS Article

Virgil Silhanek listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 1:26:43 -0400

------=____1049779603294_=_TOOqGKKb

Here's an interesting article I ran across.  Not sure if anyone else saw it.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0407digitalvandalism-ON.html

Virgil

------=____1049779603294_=_TOOqGKKb

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#d8d0c8>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Ken,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>This is an unsolicited email to me, or what is
commonly referred to as "Spam".&nbsp; I didn't join the Listserv to have people
send me their personal rants.&nbsp; I would be more forgiving if this was an
honest email or some sort of worthwhile cause here, but all you did is spout off
your own opinions from a high horse.&nbsp; To put frosting on the cake you send
it to me without MY permission, then start your message telling me not to do
something without YOUR permission.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Since you so nicely ignored my preferences, I will
ignore yours and forward your message to the list and to Team Tierra Buena
directly.&nbsp; Perhaps in the future you will be more considerate of other
people when you climb onto your soapbox.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Jeff.</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
  <DIV
  style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt arial; font-color: black"><B>From:</B>
  <A title=ken@highpointer.com
  href="mailto:ken@highpointer.com">ken@highpointer.com</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>To:</B> <A title=geocaching@yahoo.com
  href="mailto:geocaching@yahoo.com">geocaching@yahoo.com</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, April 06, 2003 3:06
PM</DIV>
  <DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> Let's fight to keep our caches
  in Scotsdale Desert Preserves: Do not acquiesce to radical "preservationist"
  policy</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV id=message>
  <P><STRONG>NOTE:&nbsp; This is not a </STRONG><A
  href="mailto:Listserv@azgeocaching.com"
  target=_blank><STRONG>Listserv@azgeocaching.com</STRONG></A><STRONG>
  posting.&nbsp; Please do not forward it to that group, and please do forward
  this note to other geocachers without my permission.</STRONG></P>
  <P><EM>The other and more significant reason in my opinion is the fact that
  the Commission sees the Preserve more akin to a Designated Wilderness Area
  than a Municipal Park, and the city ordinances that created the Preserve and
  the Commission back that up. Considered in that light, banning Geocaching
  makes a lot more sense in the Preserve than in many other public
  lands.</EM></P>
  <P>I will state my opinion here:&nbsp; Geocaching should be permitted in all
  of the Scottsdale McDowell-Sonoran Preserve, and we as Geocachers should fight
  to maintain our rights to hide and maintain caches in the Scottsdale Desert
  Preserves.&nbsp; Why should we simply acquiesce to such a blatently unfair
  policy?&nbsp; This land is public land that should be available to all of
  us.&nbsp; As a freedom-loving American, I am fervently opposed to
  "preservationists" who want to lock us out of public lands and treat us like
  we are living in a dictatorship.&nbsp; (Although I consider myself to be a
  conservationist, the more I learn about what "preservationists" want to do and
  the restrictions they want to put on us, the more I become opposed to people
  like that).</P>
  <P>Let's fight to keep geocaching available on all public lands.&nbsp; We need
  more, not fewer, geocaches on backcountry lands, caches that require long
  hikes, are on top of mountain peaks, and are not close to parking areas or
  vehicle access.</P>
  <P>I am sending this note to geocachers individually, rather than the list
  server.&nbsp; I am not sending this to Steve of Team Tierra Buena because I
  very much opposed to his position on this matter.&nbsp; Therefore, please do
  not forward this note to him.</P>
  <P>Steve appears to be acquiescing rather than trying to fight to preserve
  geocaching.&nbsp; One of the caches he said should be removed is the Thompson
  Peak geocache, which I will not remove because I feel that it is one of the
  best geocaches in the Phoenix metropolitan area.&nbsp; (Geocachers who have
  visited it have expressed very favorable opinions on the log entries).&nbsp;
  We need more caches like this one, not fewer. (I am getting tired of many of
  these&nbsp;urban caches that require no physical exertion to find, and
  which&nbsp;often become missing after a short time).&nbsp; </P>
  <P>I will make this, and my other physical caches, "members-only"
  caches.&nbsp; Therefore, if the Scottsdale Preserve "preservationists" want to
  get and remove my cache, they would have to become&nbsp;a member.</P>
  <P>Ken Akerman</P></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=____1049779603294_=_TOOqGKKb--