[Az-Geocaching] Happy National Public Lands Day!

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 21:18:38 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_004B_01C26734.A5E231A0

An interesting coincidence, perhaps, but today (Saturday the 28th) is
National Public Lands Day. See http://www.az.blm.gov/npld_showcase.htm.
I knew there was some kind of Public Land exhibit in downtown Phoenix
yesterday, but I didn't know why. Now I know.

Chelby wrote earlier:

> Well, I'm going to stop talking now...I know Steve is probably writing

> a huge summary of everything as we speak!:)

Actually, Steve spent the day catching up on some sleep and watching the
Ryder Cup matches on TV. And I now see that several of those who
attended have already posted some in-depth reports. I thank you all for
those, and I'll just add a few observations here.

It's been said already, but I think the most important lesson we learned
last night was that by and large, the land management agencies are fine
with Geocaching, if we only follow our own rules!

First, get permission. We no longer have any excuse to not do that.
Don't know who to ask, or aren't sure what agency has jurisdiction? Ask
here on the list server, or try the BLM's Public Lands Information
Center in Phoenix (http://azwww.az.blm.gov/PLIC.htm). According to one
of the BLM representatives at the meeting last night, that office should
have contact information for just about any agency in the state.

We know tribal lands are off-limits (and another thought: even if you
got permission from tribal officials to place a cache on their lands,
everyone who wanted to hunt it would have to get permission to visit
it). Same for archaeological sites (more on that in a minute), and
designated wilderness areas. As you've already read, the door was opened
that NPS would at least entertain the idea of caches on their lands.
We're still lucky enough to have millions of acres of public land in the
state that we CAN use. The USFS representative invited cachers to
consult with his office on cache placement. I can't quote what he said
word-for-word, but he made a point of saying that the rangers probably
know about lots of potential cache sites that we don't know about.

We've all been asked to take a more active role in education. Things
like more emphasis on staying on trails, leave no trace, cache in trash
out, etc. These are things you can mention in your cache descriptions
when you place them. I'm planning to write to Jeremy to propose that new
subscribers get an email with either a  statement of the rules and
policies or at least the links to where those policies can be found.
(Could any of you here who are more recent subscribers to geocaching.com
refresh my memory what kind of emails, if any, you DO get when you first
enroll? Thanks.)

I'd ask all of you to consider reaching out to new cachers when you meet
them on the trail or see them log one of your caches. I mentioned this
about a week ago, but if you can help spread this around, particularly
amongst cachers who perhaps don't visit this mailing list or this web
site, it would be very helpful.

Something else we've been asked to do: If you're out in public lands and
find, for example, an area where someone has dumped construction
materials, or a vandalized area, or something similar, mark a waypoint
where the damage is, and contact the responsible agency when you get
back as to what you found and where it is. If we can be extra eyes for
the agencies, it's to our mutual benefit.

On the situation with the archaeological sites and site stewards. As Ken
described in his post, in this one case we appear to have a conflict
between one agency that is encouraging people to visit a particular
area, and another agency charged with minimizing visitation to that same
area. I have visited the site in question and I agree with Ken's
arguments in this situation. At the same time, I do recognize that the
site stewards are trying to do what they've been charged to do. We will
probably have to deal with situations like this on a case-by-case basis,
but at least now we can discuss them directly with the appropriate
people.

Finally, I'd like to remind everyone here that a lot of people probably
learned about azgeocaching.com last night. They may be "stopping by" the
listserv or even "settling in". What they read here will probably affect
how they perceive Geocachers. You never know who, or even how many, may
be reading over your shoulder.

Thanks to all the cachers who participated last night. I think we're
seeing Geocaching coming of age in Arizona.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena

------=_NextPart_000_004B_01C26734.A5E231A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2719.2200" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV>
<P><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua"><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002>An =
interesting=20
coincidence, perhaps, but today (Saturday the 28th) is National Public =
Lands=20
Day. See <A=20
href=3D"http://www.az.blm.gov/npld_showcase.htm">http://www.az.blm.gov/np=
ld_showcase.htm</A>.=20
I knew there was some kind of Public Land exhibit in downtown Phoenix =
yesterday,=20
but I didn't know why. Now I know.</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua"><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002>Chelby =
wrote=20
earlier:</SPAN></FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua"><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002>&gt; =
</SPAN>Well,=20
I'm going to stop talking now...I know Steve is probably writing =
<BR><SPAN=20
class=3D818485102-29092002>&gt; </SPAN>a huge summary of everything as =
we=20
speak!:)</FONT></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT face=3D"Book =
Antiqua">Actually, Steve=20
spent the day catching up on some sleep and watching the Ryder Cup =
matches on=20
TV. And I now see that several of those who attended have already posted =
some=20
in-depth reports. I thank you all for those, and I'll just add a few=20
observations here.</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">It's =
been said=20
already, but I think the most important lesson we learned last night was =
that by=20
and large, the land management agencies are fine with Geocaching, if we =
only=20
follow our own rules! </FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">First, =
get=20
permission. We no longer have any excuse to not do that. Don't know who =
to ask,=20
or aren't sure what agency has jurisdiction? Ask here on the list =
server, or try=20
the BLM's Public Lands Information Center in Phoenix (<A=20
href=3D"http://azwww.az.blm.gov/PLIC.htm">http://azwww.az.blm.gov/PLIC.ht=
m</A>).=20
According to one of the BLM representatives at the meeting last night, =
that=20
office should have contact information for just about any agency in the =
state.=20
</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">We know =
tribal lands=20
are off-limits (and another thought: even if you got permission from =
tribal=20
officials to place a cache on their lands, everyone who wanted to hunt =
it would=20
have to get permission to visit it). Same for archaeological sites (more =
on that=20
in a minute), and designated wilderness areas. As you've already read, =
the door=20
was opened that NPS would at least entertain the idea of caches on their =
lands.=20
We're still lucky enough to have millions of acres of public land in the =
state=20
that we CAN use. The USFS representative invited cachers to consult with =
his=20
office on cache placement. I can't quote what he said word-for-word, but =
he made=20
a point of saying that the rangers probably know about lots of potential =
cache=20
sites that we don't know about.</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">We've =
all been asked=20
to take a more active role in education. Things like more emphasis on =
staying on=20
trails, leave no trace, cache in trash out, etc. These are things you =
can=20
mention in your cache descriptions when you place them. I'm planning to =
write to=20
Jeremy to propose that new subscribers get an email with either a&nbsp;=20
statement of the rules and policies or at least the links to where those =

policies can be found. (Could any of you here who are more recent =
subscribers to=20
geocaching.com refresh my memory what kind of emails, if any,&nbsp;you =
DO get=20
when you first enroll? Thanks.)</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">I'd ask =
all of you=20
to consider reaching out to new cachers when you meet them on the trail =
or see=20
them log one of your caches. I mentioned this about a week ago, but if =
you can=20
help spread this around, particularly amongst cachers who perhaps don't =
visit=20
this mailing list or this web site, it would be very =
helpful.</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT face=3D"Book =
Antiqua">Something else we've=20
been asked to do: If you're out in public lands and find, for example, =
an area=20
where someone has dumped construction materials, or a vandalized area, =
or=20
something similar, mark a waypoint where the damage is, and contact the=20
responsible agency when you get back as to what you found and where it =
is. If we=20
can be extra eyes for the agencies, it's to our mutual=20
benefit.</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT face=3D"Book =
Antiqua">On&nbsp;the=20
situation with the archaeological sites and site stewards. As Ken =
described in=20
his post, in this one case we appear to have a conflict between one =
agency that=20
is encouraging people to visit a particular area, and another agency =
charged=20
with minimizing visitation to that same area. I have visited&nbsp;the =
site in=20
question and I agree with Ken's arguments in this situation. At the same =
time, I=20
do recognize that the site stewards are trying to do what they've been =
charged=20
to do. We will probably have to deal with situations like this on a =
case-by-case=20
basis, but at least now we can discuss them directly with the =
appropriate=20
people.</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">Finally, =
I'd like to=20
remind everyone here that a lot of people probably learned about=20
azgeocaching.com last night. They may be "stopping by" the listserv or =
even=20
"settling in". What they read here will probably affect how they =
perceive=20
Geocachers. You never know who, or even how many, may be reading over =
your=20
shoulder.</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT face=3D"Book Antiqua">Thanks =
to all the=20
cachers who participated last night. I think we're seeing Geocaching =
coming of=20
age in Arizona.</FONT></SPAN></P>
<P><SPAN class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT=20
face=3D"Book Antiqua">Steve<BR></FONT></SPAN><SPAN =
class=3D818485102-29092002><FONT=20
face=3D"Book Antiqua">Team Tierra =
Buena</FONT></SPAN></P></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004B_01C26734.A5E231A0--