[Az-Geocaching] RE:Newbie Geocacher

MARK STOUT listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:22:06 -0700

Okay Trish,

Which definition are we using for "Professional" when referring to a
volunteer individual sport/hobby?

1.    Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers,
doctors, and other professional people.
2.    Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
3.    Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career:
a professional writer.
4.    Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
5.    Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

Because I'm confused as to what a "professional attitude" is;  about
something that is not sanctioned, endorsed, certified or by any other
standard: regulated.
How does a person not living in and around Arizona judge those things that
are good for Arizona?  Should we also judge/regulate those things for
European countries/ Asian countries whose beliefs and cultures are different
from ours yet are apart of the Geocache?   I am just asking a question as a
person who has been exposed to many "types" of cultures and because of this,
I would no sooner tell others to what they can and/or can not do as I would
tell them how to vote or prey.
It may seem like an extreme position from your perspective, but than I think
what you have said establishes the ground rules for some to step in and
start regulating this "amateur" hobby/sport, which in turn goes against ones
own belief and oh yeah something established by the declaration of
independence [one of those unalienable rights rights things] "pursuit of
Happiness"  which we are giving up when people are subject to the will or
decisions of others who are not elected officials.

> I agree, Skydad, for the most part. There are, however, a few things
> that need to be taken seriously, for the benefit of ALL in geocaching;
> hence, the upcoming meeting with the "land supervisors," as an example.
>
> While geocaching IS a hobby/sport, some more serious than for others,
> there are a few issues that need to be addressed. And addressing these
> issues, in my opinion, is best done by those with a "professional"
> attitude (which is a positive thing.)
>
> That's my 2 cents, since we all have a right to voice an opinion, I
> think.
>
> Trisha
> "Lightning"
> Prescott
>

> On Tue, 24 September 2002, "skydad" wrote:
>

> > I totally agree with the newbie and their comments on how negative
> > this list
> > serv has gotten over the months.  It seems are beloved sport/hobby
> has
> > become a way of life for many people and lost site of the true reason
> > most
> > of us started geocaching in the first place.  How many people have
> > simply
> > stopped reading the emails without voicing their concerns as did our
> > newest
> > members?  How many other new people will shy away due to the negative
> > almost
> > professional like attitude people are now taking?  I think we all
> > started to
> > enjoy the adventure and finding spots we never knew existed in our
> > great
> > state.  Along the way we have been lucky to meet some really great
> > people.
> > We can only hope the great effort the people at Snaptek have put
> forth
> > is
> > not wasted with people taking this all too seriuosly.
> > The Lunch Club

z-geocaching</a>

> > Arizona's Geocaching Resource
> > <a