[Az-Geocaching] newbie geocacher braves her two cents

MARK STOUT listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 20:16:45 -0700

Thanks Heather,

I too, normally don't get involved in discussion groups or voice my opinion
in things of this matter, but when I sign up and the first emails I'm
receiving are about some self-appointed geo-nazi I really have to step up
and speak my mind.  I too, understand the importance of not taking the cache
hiding to the extreme, but once we start regulating, we are in danger of
having monitors and regulators and a geo-government established which will
only cause people interested to have to pay dues and pay fines for not
upkeeping their caches or meeting the minimum code.  Okay, You get my point
as overplayed as it may have been.  I hate to relate this kind of an issue
to HOAs (Home Owners Associations) [I know did this guy take a left at
Albuquerque], but that is exactly what it can become if we start regulating
what people do for fun.  I have no idea who this Jeremy guy is nor do I care
to - but I will say that anyone that thinks they can step in and regulate
something like this based on what "their experience as a geo-cacher???", is
likely nothing more than someone that needs a little attention and is
getting it for the moment. I repeat my earlier comment to the Chicks wit
Trucks.  Bravo, I might be new to this but I can see that you have heart and
doing what your heart tells you to do - and for that I applaud and support
you.  For you Heather, I hope this doesn't scare you away or change your
mind about this "sport/hobby".  As to Jeremy,  I've got 4 travel bugs/ and
four caches set up to go out and post and I will get them in place within 2
weeks (without the advice or recommendations of anyone).

Too all
Let's keep it fun
Let's keep it real
Let's keep it anything but something else that someone believes needs to be
regulated

Your humble geo-cacher (newbie)
Mark Stout,