[Az-Geocaching] newbie geocacher braves her two cents

Heather Drake listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 19:09:21 -0700

First, I'd like to say a huge thank you to everyone for being so kind and
welcoming me to the world of geocaching! :)  I've gotten some really cool
emails from other geocachers with invitations to go out with them and "learn
the ropes" a bit.  I really appreciate that.

Now, I'm in the same situ as Mark Stout; I just started this sport/hobby
less than a week ago and have been enjoying it and have been challenged by
some of the locations.  I can tell all of you how and when I got into this
and how I found out about the azgeocaching.com website and this listserv.  I
also joined this listserv to learn tips and tricks, but have been rather
discouraged by the seemingly negative comments from some regarding others'
caches.  On the flip side, I do understand that some points are related to
responsible caching so as not to jeopardize the status of this sport.

And then to boot, I've made an attempt to hide my first cache after reading
the documentation on geocaching.com on how to do so.  I thought I'd followed
the guidelines pretty well for a first time hide, but apparently not.
Before anyone had even found it, Jeremy posted a note saying it should be
archived.  Not a great feeling for a newbie cacher. :(

So for now, I'm considering archiving it and just sticking to finds and not
hides.  Also, maybe for this newbie this listserv isn't the best place to be
at this time.

My two cents,
Darsantre