[Az-Geocaching] YAALWP! (Yet Again Another Long-Winded Posting!)

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 08:11:52 -0700 (MST)

Hey Steve,
    Funny you should suggest that.  I've already sent just that kind of
e-mail to a number of new geocachers when I've noticed their low (1, 2, 3 or
so) find total on several occasions, particularly if they've made some
interesting comment in their log.  It's nice to see how new cachers learn the
sport.  One new cacher has logged 2 of my urbans and a driveby virtual, so
they've gotten a slanted view of geocaching and hopefully will go after some
more traditional caches as the weather starts cooling a bit.

Jim.

On Sun, 22 Sep 2002, Team Tierra Buena wrote:

> I'll bet that the subscribers to this list server (counting the untold
> numbers of you who read and don't post) have hidden somewhere between a
> quarter and a half of all the caches in the state. Here's what I propose
> (and it wouldn't surprise me if some of you are doing it already): Every
> time you get a notification that someone's logged one of your caches,
> check out the team name. If you don't recognize it, go to the log page
> and check out their find count. If they're Neocachers (let's say five
> finds or fewer), send 'em an email! Welcome them into the fold, thank
> them for finding (or hunting) your cache, let them know about
> azgeocaching.com, invite them to the listserv, and offer to help them
> with any questions they have. If they wrote about anything in the log
> that seems as though they were struggling, mention it to them and offer
> to help them out with it. Send them your email address, so they don't
> have to go back through geocaching.com. (If you want, check out their
> other finds first, and email those cache owners to see if they've beaten
> you to it, but it's probably better if they get two or three welcomes
> than none.) In other words, become a Geomentor.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721 USA                 http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/