[Az-Geocaching] UTM/NAD 27 coordinates!

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:22:14 -0700

>From: trisha@brasher.com
>To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] UTM/NAD 27 coordinates!
>Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:26:57 -0700 (PDT)
>
>On a search up by Flag last winter (for those 2 lost boys), Coco Co.
>was using UTM. I was not real familar with it, but as the radio
>operator, I just had to confirm and pass on whatever the field units
>said. Luckily, one of the guys knew UTM very well, so he was map
>plotter for the night shift!
>Our Posse has a template we use with both standard topos and FS maps.
>It is clear plastic and has the appropriate scales along the sides to
>find minutes and seconds. Without that, I agree, topo's are hard to do
>DD.MM.MMM or DD.MM.SS on.
>See y'all,
>Trisha "Lightning"
>Prescott

Trisha,

That sounds about like what I have. As mentioned before, I grid my 7.5' topo
maps so I have a checkerboard of boxes 1000x1000 meters (I just use a pencil
to form very light lines so as not to detract from the detail on the maps).
The tool I use is a clear plastic type template that I simply overlay on the
map. It has a grid on it that fits within one 1000x1000 meter box. It breaks
that box down into tenths (100 meters). I can then 'eye' the exact number
inside those little boxes to break it down to another tenth (10 meters). If
this makes sense, it is very simple to do and allows some one to very
accurately pinpoint a location on a topo map. (I then laminate my maps just
to keep them in good shape).

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

http://www.safwp.bravepages.com