[Az-Geocaching] feed back

Holmes, Richard listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 07:43:08 -0700

I agree with Marc. Though individually not as bright as a conventional
torch, by the parallel nature of the light they emit, multiple LEDs tend to
be additive in emission, so if you put several in an array you get a
brighter light. Depending, of course, on the configuration and the
reflecting surface. My advice would be to buy a miniature and check it out.
They can be had for s little as $5-$6, or much more (!), and they are really
quite amazing. If you tape them to your shoes, you might avoid a fall when
hiking at night.

Dick
CJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Marc [mailto:mtamis@uccinc.net]
Sent: Sunday, September 15, 2002 9:32 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] feed back

Don't know a lot about this - but maybe this would help give you some
insight. - LED - light emitting diode - do not need a lot of power to
light. The led (bulb) has a half life of 15 years continuos burn. I use
them all the time in my biz and had had some burn out - but very rare.
As far as the power, sounds like an almost solar type deal. Shaking it
gives it a charge, but will not last long. I assume that the chem. in it
that make it work have a long half life as well so they can make their
claims. I would be wary of the quality it would have as a light. LED's
do not shine well at all. If they did - all flashlights would use them.
They are good for close up light - like reading - not for walking or
lighting an area. Most outdoor stores, target, etc. have them. They come
in red, green, blue, orange, and white.

Hope this helps...

Tamo