[Az-Geocaching] azgeocaching web site error

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
12 Sep 2002 18:37:02 -0700

Thanks for the heads up.  I knew about the error, but my attention was
pulled elsewhere right when I found out about it, and I spaced out and
promptly completely forgot that it ever existed.

Anyway, that bring me to why we had the error in the first place.  I
upgraded our database server and now searching for phrases workes like
it was supposed to in the first place.  In other words you can search
for "promptly completely forgot" and you will get this message.
Previously it was treating them all as seperate words so and message
that had those 3 words in it anywhere would show up.

This should greatly increase the quality of the searches.
Other things you can do:

+  A leading plus sign indicates that this word must be present in every
row returned.
-	A leading minus sign indicates that this word must not be
	present in any row returned.
	By default (when neither plus nor minus is specified) the word 	is
optional, but the rows that contain it will be rated higher. >	These two
operators are used to change a word's contribution to
	the relevance value that is assigned to a row. The < operator
	decreases the contribution and the > operator increases it. See
	the example below.
( )	Parentheses are used to group words into subexpressions.
~	A leading tilde acts as a negation operator, causing the word's
	contribution to the row relevance to be negative. It's useful
	for marking noise words. A row that contains such a word will be
	rated lower than others, but will not be excluded altogether, as
	it would be with the - operator.
*	An asterisk is the truncation operator. Unlike the other
	operators, it should be appended to the word, not prepended.
"	The phrase, that is enclosed in double quotes ", matches only
	rows that contain this phrase literally, as it was typed.

And here are some examples:

apple banana
	find rows that contain at least one of these words.
+apple +juice
	... both words.
+apple macintosh
	... word ``apple'', but rank it higher if it also contain
 	``macintosh''.
+apple -macintosh
	... word ``apple'' but not ``macintosh''.
+apple +(>pie <strudel)
	... ``apple'' and ``pie'', or ``apple'' and ``strudel'' (in
	any order), but rank ``apple pie'' higher than ``apple
	strudel''.
apple*
	... ``apple'', ``apples'', ``applesauce'', and ``applet''.
"some words"
	... ``some words of wisdom'', but not ``some noise words''.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek