[Az-Geocaching] FRS Radios

Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:35:15 -0700 (PDT)

Another option is you could study for and take the No-Code Technician
Ham Radio test (for the cost of a study book-  or free online - and
about $6 to take the test) and then open up your options and range for
2-way communications tremendously!
I can currently talk all around the world on VHF and UHF frequencies
(not just the traditional high-band rigs with huge antenna arrays)
from my mobile in my car or hand held, using the relatively new
Amateur radio technology called IRLP, that links Ham repeaters with
the Internet.
Or, I can talk to my fiance as he drives to and from work, using a
local repeater. Or directly over a range of a few to 50 miles,
depending on which radios we are using.
We have FRS radios for the kids, they work good in a very local
setting, except that we almost always run into other people on channel
(since the FRS are getting so popular) and most of them have no
concept of "radio manners" (which I am used to in the Ham radio crowd).
Another 2 cents,
Trisha
"Lightning"
N7TMY