[Az-Geocaching] FW: FYI

Thu, 12 Sep 2002 11:33:07 -0400

------=____1031844787512_F0o7tjKxtG

I have contacted the bomb technicians in Tempe and let them know about our hobby. They advised me that the information is being passed along by various bomb a technicians but it will take a bit of time for all of the bomb squads to become aware. My advice is if you use the ammo cans, or anything else that might be even remotely been interpreted as a possible bomb to clearly label it on the outside as a geocache. In my opinion clear tupperware type containers are the best in an urban environement. This allows the bomb technician, or anyone else, to visually examine the contente without having to break out the x-ray equipment or robots.

Also think carefully about the placement of the cache. There is one in Tempe that is very near a school. Schools are very sensitive places and you are just asking for trouble by inviting people near them that give the outward appearance of loitering, or aimlessly wandering about.

WhereRWee?
Ken

> From: "Team Tierra Buena" <teamtierrabuena@earthlink.net>
> Date: 2002/09/11 Wed PM 08:31:11 EDT
> To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
> Subject: [Az-Geocaching] FW: FYI
>
> What's also interesting about the email below is that it was forwarded
> to me by Mary Estes of the State Parks Department. You may recall from
> my earlier messages that Mary is in charge of the Site Steward program.
>
> Steve
> Team Tierra Buena
>

> Hi Everyone
> Here is a short article that was in today's Salt Lake Tribune, a new
> slant
> on the hide and seek game?!    We also saw this on the TV news last
> night.
> Juanita and Ray
>

>    BOMB SQUAD CHECKS OUT SUSPICIOUS BOX
>     The Salt Lake City bomb squad checked a suspicious World War I-type
> ammunition box at about 1550 W. 2300 North on Tuesday night. A
> technician at a nearby sewage treatment plant saw a man in a pickup drop
> the box at the side of the road at 8 p.m. After opening the box at 10:30
> p.m., police found pictures of a dog and a wedding and a logbook. The
> box was left by someone who participates in "geocaching," a global
> scavenger hunt using global positioning systems to find items, said
> Detective Dwayne Baird. The box was left in a field near two oil
> refineries and the sewage plant. Police have yet to contact the person
> who left the box.
>
> Steve again: This was the entire story. I also found it online at
> http://www.sltrib.com/2002/sep/09112002/utah/5094.htm.

------=____1031844787512_F0o7tjKxtG

<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=us-ascii">
<TITLE>Message</TITLE>

<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader lang=en-us dir=ltr align=left><FONT face=Tahoma
size=2></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Book Antiqua" color=#0000ff><SPAN
class=183432100-12092002>What's also interesting about the email below is that
it was forwarded to me by Mary Estes of the State Parks Department. You may
recall from my earlier messages that Mary is in charge of the Site Steward
program.</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Book Antiqua" color=#0000ff><SPAN
class=183432100-12092002></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Book Antiqua" color=#0000ff><SPAN
class=183432100-12092002>Steve</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face="Book Antiqua" color=#0000ff><SPAN class=183432100-12092002>Team
Tierra Buena</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr
style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Hi Everyone</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Here is a short article that was in today's
  Salt Lake Tribune, a new slant</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">on the hide and seek game?!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
  We also saw this on the&nbsp;TV news last night.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Juanita and Ray</FONT></DIV><FONT
  face="Book Antiqua" color=#0000ff></FONT>
  <DIV><FONT face="Book Antiqua"
  color=#0000ff></FONT><BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;BOMB SQUAD CHECKS OUT
  SUSPICIOUS BOX <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Salt Lake City bomb squad checked a
  suspicious World War I-type ammunition box at about 1550 W. 2300 North on
  Tuesday night. A technician at a nearby sewage treatment plant saw a man in a
  pickup drop the box at the side of the road at 8 p.m. After opening the box at
  10:30 p.m., police found pictures of a dog and a wedding and a logbook. The
  box was left by someone who participates in "geocaching," a global scavenger
  hunt using global positioning systems to find items, said Detective Dwayne
  Baird. The box was left in a field near two oil refineries and the sewage
  plant. Police have yet to contact the person who left the box.<SPAN
  class=183432100-12092002><FONT face="Book Antiqua"
  color=#0000ff>&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE>
<DIV dir=ltr><SPAN class=183432100-12092002><FONT face="Book Antiqua"
color=#0000ff>Steve again:&nbsp;This was the entire story. I also found it
online at <A
href="http://www.sltrib.com/2002/sep/09112002/utah/5094.htm">http://www.sltrib.com/2002/sep/09112002/utah/5094.htm</A>.</FONT></SPAN></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=____1031844787512_F0o7tjKxtG--