[Az-Geocaching] Cache placement question

Eric Quinn listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:32:22 -0700 (PDT)

--- Scott Nicol <arizcowboy@hotmail.com> wrote:
> So, can a cache be placed in a WA or not?

Technically, no. It violates the "Leave no trace" that
is at the core of the Wilderness Area.

> The Superstition Wilderness Area has perhaps 8 or
> more caches in it as an  example.

They may know about them and realize that the hoards
of geocachers looking for a supposedly hidden box are
causing less disruption that a day trip of cub scouts.
With the exception of destroying archaeological site,
of course.

It may have something to do with the fact that
prospecting is allowed with a permit. I get the
feeling that Superstition tries to be a semi
wilderness. Wilderness like without the opression that
makes going to many of the areas trying. It may be due
to the proximity of a huge metro area, something most
of the Wildnerness Areas don't have to deal with.

> I beleive WA's are managed by BLM (?).

Some seem to be but Superstition is part of the Tonto
National Forest.