[Az-Geocaching] what makes a good cache

Jerry Nelson listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:18:49 -0700

No doubt, the best caches take you to someplace previously unknown.  I've
been to caches less than four miles from my home that showed me places I
never would have been aware of, and I've lived in the same neighborhood
since 1957!  I also travel to the Midwest every summer and usually take
the same route home.  A couple weeks ago I found myself in my usual motel
in Chamberlain, South Dakota, where I usually get in with just enough
time to eat, take a shower and fall asleep in front of the TV.  This year
there happened to be a cache placed at the edge of town overlooking the
Missouri River that took me to a fantastic view of sunset from an old,
abandoned railroad track.  It's a place I'll probably return to every
time I find myself in the area.

Geocaching appears to be pretty silly to some people not involved, but it
doesn't take long to realize that this is one of main attractions of the
game.  I've placed some caches where I think people will like the
surroundings and one which certainly falls in the "stats only" category.
It's sometimes as much or more fun to place a cache as it is to find one,
and it's good to keep reminding ourselves to try to put just a little
thought into those we hide.

Here's an off topic question.....not really I guess :o)  What is the
proper word for this thing we're communicating on, a listserv, listserve
or listserver?

Jerry
Offtrail