[Az-Geocaching] Interesting weather today...

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 07 Sep 2002 23:04:52 -0700

>From: "Brian Casteel" <bcasteel@cox.net>
>To: <az-geocaching@listserv.azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Interesting weather today...
>Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:42:07 -0700
>
>While I was driving back to the 202 from Your Overactive Sprinklers At
>Work, I witnessed a tornado on the ground on W. South Mountain.  In the 22
>years I've lived here, it's the first I've ever seen, and it looked like a
>reverse S coming out of the cloud, first vertical, looping up and back down
>to the ground....Just after it dissipated, 2 more formed on flanking sides.
>
>Probably not a good day to be geocaching on the west side.
>
>Brian
>Team A.I.

I too saw the same funnel cloud. I was working a KNIX remote broadcast out
at I-10 and Dysart Rd in Avondale from 1-4pm this afternoon. The skies were
dark to the south. But, we never got any rain. It did pour (heavy) from
about 115 Ave eastward. It's amazing how it can rain so hard in one spot and
1 mile away be totally dry! Gotta love this AZ weather! I never actually saw
a tornado touch down, but, did see the cloud and the rotation in the clouds.
It was pretty cool to see. Being a licensed pilot, I really enjoy weather
and have a good understanding of it. So, I was definetly enjoying the rough
weather we had this afternoon! :) I got packed up just in time before the
big gusts of wind hit our location. Yikes!

When I got on the road, I turned on my weather radio and indeed there was a
tornado warning that had just been issued for Tolloson and the west valley.
I also saw some news crews heading out I-10 for that area, so, I was
thinking a tornado might have touched down.

Geez, I spend nearly 3 weeks in Texas and no texas size hail, no heavy rain,
no tornado's and nothin' but blue skies the whole time. I come home to
Arizona and we get a tornado! Imagine that! Funky weather.

On the geocaching front, I was able to get a few caches today while in
between jobs! :) Met up with D and D (Denny and Dan of Tres Hombres and
LazyK) at the It's A Breeze Cache in Chandler this morning. Nice to be able
to chat with them again for a bit. I also visited (at least tried to) the
two new virtual caches in downtown Scottsdale. It rained on me the whole
time I was searching for the cache questions needed for credit on those
caches, but, I kept on looking!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind