[Az-Geocaching] Cache In/Trash Out?

Regan Smith listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 17:43:05 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C25696.052FD860

Pleading guilty

as lastnight when Team Evil Fish went for our first find to commemorate =
our 100th cache I saw an aluminum can by the cache when it was replaced =
did I pick it up? did my teammate pick it up? (as we have done on many a =
cache both noted in the log and not) NO! but as the wind and dust and =
rain started that wasn't a high priority on our list of things to do yes =
as it is an excuse as the cache located .11 miles away that also =
contained a Travel Bug but were unable to visit as we were prepared to =
pick up trash as we had on our two previous visits...

what is our punishment???
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Joe Brekke=20
  To: listserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 07, 2002 2:27 PM
  Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Cache In/Trash Out?

  <ok, climbing on a mini soapbox here>

  Today we were the 4th team to find a new cache in the East Valley.  =
When we got to the site, I was surprised to find 2 very old crumpled pop =
cans, a straw, an old mostly rolled up piece of tin foil, and a cracked =
and beaten plastic cup right at the cache site!  I mean from the =
position that you had to find and retrieve the cache, these items were =
right at your feet...and as you sat to log your find you couldn't help =
but notice them.  They aren't there any more, we picked them up and put =
them in the garbage can that was about 110 feet from the cache.

  Then we also decided to visit a nearby .17 miles away cache that we =
had previously found as there was a travel bug there and we were going =
to pick it up if it was still there (it wasn't).  We found some bags in =
the cache along with a copy of the Cache In/Cache Out Cache.  We grabbed =
a bag and filled it up coming out of there.  Again, a lot of this trash =
was not hard to find and has had to have been passed up by the numerous =
finders of the cache.  There is more trash there, we ran out of room. =20

  When Geocachers got bad press in the Republic, we were quick to point =
out that we practice Cache In/Trash Out to formulate our argument we had =
a stewrdship for the land and sites .  Also I noticed in the informal =
survey that was on this site that most everyone either put that they =
"Usually" or "Always" practice Cache In/Trash Out.  It would seem from =
my exerience today that this may not be true.

  I have seen evidence of Cache In/Trash Out.  The Lake Front Property =
Cache is a good example.  In the logs that I read of the cache it was =
said that there was a lot of trash in the area, and cachers had =
mentioned picking some of it up.  By the time I got there to find the =
cache, ther was NO trash left...except the cache container which in it's =
position could have been mistaken for trash.  In this case I say we did =
a great job!!!  Bravo to those who picked up the trash.

  I'm not one to say that I always at a cache site go around for 100 yds =
in each direction and pick up what I find...heck, at some cache sites =
I've been to you couldn't possibly clean it all up.  But I have and do =
stop to pick up trash that is at my feet or that I walk right next to on =
my route to get to and from the cache.  I think this is logical and =
realistic expectation

  My point is that at least 3 Cache Teams (who are pretty experienced =
teams) and the Cache hider of the new cache had to have seen this =
trash...being as it was located where you had to be to retrieve the =
cache.  Why wasn't it picked up?  Are we in that much of a hurry to get =
to the next cache?

  I believe in the light of some of the bad press that we have received =
that we need to take care and pay attention to our claims.  While I'm =
not saying that we need to pack out a pick-up truck load of trash at =
these sites, a bag or part of a bag if that is all the trash that is in =
the area shouldn't be too hard.  I would certainly say that taking the =
10 seconds to pick up the trash that was at my feet at this particular =
cache site was not too hard.

  Let's just be sure that the claims that we have made on this listserv =
ar factual and being lived up to.

  Thanks,

  Joe

  TeamBlunder

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C25696.052FD860

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Pleading guilty</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>as lastnight when Team Evil Fish went =
for our first=20
find to commemorate our 100th cache I saw an aluminum can by the cache =
when it=20
was replaced did I pick it up? did&nbsp;my teammate pick it up? (as we =
have done=20
on many a cache both noted in the log and not)&nbsp;NO! but as the wind =
and dust=20
and rain started that wasn't a high priority on our list of things to do =
yes as=20
it is an excuse as the cache located .11 miles away that also contained =
a Travel=20
Bug but were unable to visit as we were prepared to pick up trash as we =
had on=20
our two previous visits...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>what is our punishment???</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Djoenveng@cableaz.com =
href=3D"mailto:joenveng@cableaz.com">Joe=20
  Brekke</A> </DIV>
title=3Dlistserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:listserv@azgeocaching.com">listserv@azgeocaching.com</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, September 07, =
2002 2:27=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geocaching] Cache =
In/Trash=20
  Out?</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;ok, climbing on a mini soapbox=20
  here&gt;</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today we were the 4th team to find a =
new cache in=20
  the East Valley.&nbsp; When we got to the site, I was surprised to =
find 2 very=20
  old crumpled pop cans, a straw, an old mostly rolled up piece of tin =
foil, and=20
  a cracked and beaten plastic cup right at the cache site!&nbsp; I mean =
from=20
  the position that you had to find and retrieve the cache, these items =
were=20
  right at your feet...and as you sat to log your find you couldn't help =
but=20
  notice them.&nbsp; They aren't there any more, we picked them up and =
put them=20
  in the garbage can that was about 110 feet from the =
cache.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Then we also decided to visit a =
nearby .17 miles=20
  away cache that we had previously found as there was a travel bug =
there and we=20
  were going to pick it up if it was still there (it wasn't).&nbsp; We =
found=20
  some bags in the cache along with a copy of the Cache In/Cache Out=20
  Cache.&nbsp; We grabbed a bag and filled it up coming out of =
there.&nbsp;=20
  Again, a lot of this trash was not hard to find and has had to have =
been=20
  passed up by the numerous finders of the cache.&nbsp; There is more =
trash=20
  there, we ran out of room.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When Geocachers got bad press in the =
Republic, we=20
  were quick to point out that we practice Cache In/Trash Out&nbsp;to =
formulate=20
  our&nbsp;argument we&nbsp;had a stewrdship for the land and sites =
.&nbsp; Also=20
  I noticed in the informal survey that was on this site that most =
everyone=20
  either put that they "Usually" or "Always" practice Cache In/Trash =
Out.&nbsp;=20
  It would seem from my exerience today that this may not be =
true.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have seen evidence of Cache =
In/Trash Out.&nbsp;=20
  The Lake Front Property Cache is a good example.&nbsp; In the logs =
that I read=20
  of the cache it was said that there was a lot of trash in the area, =
and=20
  cachers had mentioned picking some of it up.&nbsp; By the time I got =
there to=20
  find the cache, ther was NO trash left...except the cache container =
which in=20
  it's position could have been mistaken for trash.&nbsp; In this case I =
say we=20
  did a great job!!!&nbsp; Bravo to those who picked up the =
trash.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm not one to say that I always at a =
cache site=20
  go around for 100 yds in each direction and pick up what I =
find...heck, at=20
  some cache sites I've been to you couldn't possibly clean it all =
up.&nbsp; But=20
  I have and do stop to pick up trash that is at my feet or that I walk =
right=20
  next to on my route to get to and from the cache.&nbsp; I think this =
is=20
  logical and realistic expectation</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My point is that at least 3 Cache =
Teams (who are=20
  pretty experienced teams) and the Cache hider of the new cache had to =
have=20
  seen this trash...being as it was located where you had to be to =
retrieve the=20
  cache.&nbsp; Why wasn't it picked up?&nbsp; Are we in that much of a =
hurry to=20
  get to the next cache?</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I believe in the light of some of the =
bad press=20
  that we have received that we need to take care and pay attention to =
our=20
  claims.&nbsp; While I'm not saying that we need to pack out a pick-up =
truck=20
  load of trash at these sites, a bag or part of a bag if that is all =
the trash=20
  that is in the area shouldn't be too hard.&nbsp; I would certainly say =
that=20
  taking the 10 seconds to pick up the trash that was at my feet at this =

  particular cache site was not too hard.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Let's just be sure that the claims =
that we have=20
  made on this listserv ar factual and being lived up to.</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Joe</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2>TeamBlunder</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001C_01C25696.052FD860--