[Az-Geocaching] Cache In/Trash Out?

Joe Brekke listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 14:27:58 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C2567A.C3ABA4C0

<ok, climbing on a mini soapbox here>

Today we were the 4th team to find a new cache in the East Valley.  When =
we got to the site, I was surprised to find 2 very old crumpled pop =
cans, a straw, an old mostly rolled up piece of tin foil, and a cracked =
and beaten plastic cup right at the cache site!  I mean from the =
position that you had to find and retrieve the cache, these items were =
right at your feet...and as you sat to log your find you couldn't help =
but notice them.  They aren't there any more, we picked them up and put =
them in the garbage can that was about 110 feet from the cache.

Then we also decided to visit a nearby .17 miles away cache that we had =
previously found as there was a travel bug there and we were going to =
pick it up if it was still there (it wasn't).  We found some bags in the =
cache along with a copy of the Cache In/Cache Out Cache.  We grabbed a =
bag and filled it up coming out of there.  Again, a lot of this trash =
was not hard to find and has had to have been passed up by the numerous =
finders of the cache.  There is more trash there, we ran out of room. =20

When Geocachers got bad press in the Republic, we were quick to point =
out that we practice Cache In/Trash Out to formulate our argument we had =
a stewrdship for the land and sites .  Also I noticed in the informal =
survey that was on this site that most everyone either put that they =
"Usually" or "Always" practice Cache In/Trash Out.  It would seem from =
my exerience today that this may not be true.

I have seen evidence of Cache In/Trash Out.  The Lake Front Property =
Cache is a good example.  In the logs that I read of the cache it was =
said that there was a lot of trash in the area, and cachers had =
mentioned picking some of it up.  By the time I got there to find the =
cache, ther was NO trash left...except the cache container which in it's =
position could have been mistaken for trash.  In this case I say we did =
a great job!!!  Bravo to those who picked up the trash.

I'm not one to say that I always at a cache site go around for 100 yds =
in each direction and pick up what I find...heck, at some cache sites =
I've been to you couldn't possibly clean it all up.  But I have and do =
stop to pick up trash that is at my feet or that I walk right next to on =
my route to get to and from the cache.  I think this is logical and =
realistic expectation

My point is that at least 3 Cache Teams (who are pretty experienced =
teams) and the Cache hider of the new cache had to have seen this =
trash...being as it was located where you had to be to retrieve the =
cache.  Why wasn't it picked up?  Are we in that much of a hurry to get =
to the next cache?

I believe in the light of some of the bad press that we have received =
that we need to take care and pay attention to our claims.  While I'm =
not saying that we need to pack out a pick-up truck load of trash at =
these sites, a bag or part of a bag if that is all the trash that is in =
the area shouldn't be too hard.  I would certainly say that taking the =
10 seconds to pick up the trash that was at my feet at this particular =
cache site was not too hard.

Let's just be sure that the claims that we have made on this listserv ar =
factual and being lived up to.

Thanks,

Joe

TeamBlunder

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C2567A.C3ABA4C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&lt;ok, climbing on a mini soapbox=20
here&gt;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Today we were the 4th team to find a =
new cache in=20
the East Valley.&nbsp; When we got to the site, I was surprised to find =
2 very=20
old crumpled pop cans, a straw, an old mostly rolled up piece of tin =
foil, and a=20
cracked and beaten plastic cup right at the cache site!&nbsp; I mean =
from the=20
position that you had to find and retrieve the cache, these items were =
right at=20
your feet...and as you sat to log your find you couldn't help but notice =

them.&nbsp; They aren't there any more, we picked them up and put them =
in the=20
garbage can that was about 110 feet from the cache.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Then we also decided to visit a nearby =
.17 miles=20
away cache that we had previously found as there was a travel bug there =
and we=20
were going to pick it up if it was still there (it wasn't).&nbsp; We =
found some=20
bags in the cache along with a copy of the Cache In/Cache Out =
Cache.&nbsp; We=20
grabbed a bag and filled it up coming out of there.&nbsp; Again, a lot =
of this=20
trash was not hard to find and has had to have been passed up by the =
numerous=20
finders of the cache.&nbsp; There is more trash there, we ran out of =
room.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When Geocachers got bad press in the =
Republic, we=20
were quick to point out that we practice Cache In/Trash Out&nbsp;to =
formulate=20
our&nbsp;argument we&nbsp;had a stewrdship for the land and sites =
.&nbsp; Also I=20
noticed in the informal survey that was on this site that most everyone =
either=20
put that they "Usually" or "Always" practice Cache In/Trash Out.&nbsp; =
It would=20
seem from my exerience today that this may not be true.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have seen evidence of Cache In/Trash =
Out.&nbsp;=20
The Lake Front Property Cache is a good example.&nbsp; In the logs that =
I read=20
of the cache it was said that there was a lot of trash in the area, and =
cachers=20
had mentioned picking some of it up.&nbsp; By the time I got there to =
find the=20
cache, ther was NO trash left...except the cache container which in it's =

position could have been mistaken for trash.&nbsp; In this case I say we =
did a=20
great job!!!&nbsp; Bravo to those who picked up the trash.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm not one to say that I always at a =
cache site go=20
around for 100 yds in each direction and pick up what I find...heck, at =
some=20
cache sites I've been to you couldn't possibly clean it all up.&nbsp; =
But I have=20
and do stop to pick up trash that is at my feet or that I walk right =
next to on=20
my route to get to and from the cache.&nbsp; I think this is logical and =

realistic expectation</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My point is that at least 3 Cache Teams =
(who are=20
pretty experienced teams) and the Cache hider of the new cache had to =
have seen=20
this trash...being as it was located where you had to be to retrieve the =

cache.&nbsp; Why wasn't it picked up?&nbsp; Are we in that much of a =
hurry to=20
get to the next cache?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I believe in the light of some of the =
bad press=20
that we have received that we need to take care and pay attention to our =

claims.&nbsp; While I'm not saying that we need to pack out a pick-up =
truck load=20
of trash at these sites, a bag or part of a bag if that is all the trash =
that is=20
in the area shouldn't be too hard.&nbsp; I would certainly say that =
taking the=20
10 seconds to pick up the trash that was at my feet at this particular =
cache=20
site was not too hard.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Let's just be sure that the claims that =
we have=20
made on this listserv ar factual and being lived up to.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Joe</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>TeamBlunder</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C2567A.C3ABA4C0--