[Az-Geocaching] Are Caches now "Illegal" (Officially) on N Forest Land?

Fri, 06 Sep 2002 19:08:10 -0700 (PDT)

Hey all,

Sorry for that first blank message. Hit the enter key by mistake and
"POOF".....

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody knows if there has been some actual
law written lately that makes geocaches on National Forest land
illegal.

I ask because, in trying to find out why the gate up on Mingus is
closed, and for how long, I asked my Posse friend Jim to ask around.
He spoke with FS ranger Jim Classen, one of our "law dogs" up here and
found out the gate will be closed for awhile (maybe a year) while the
campground up there is totally redone. (I am going to relocate the
cache ~ we will miss the view ~ but it will be more accessible.)
Anyway, the FS ranger asked my friend why he wanted to know and he
said "Trisha has a cache up there (the Ranger knows me, from SAR) and
his comment was "Caches are illegal in NF land."

OH REALLY? Since when?
Anybody know, or is this maybe this particular ranger's opinion?

Thanks,
Trisha
"Lightning"
Prescott