[Az-Geocaching] Survival Kit

Wed, 04 Sep 2002 08:10:12 -0700 (PDT)

<ramble>

In my experience in central Arizona, most people are "lost" for 12
hours or less (I can't count how many times I've been called out for a
search, only to be cancelled enroute or just as I arrive at base
camp...good thing for the lost person!). The other common time frame
is about 48 hours. These times are strictly averages based upon my
personal experience. I have yet to see a search subject who had food,
water, or anything else with them. (with a couple exceptions...ATV
riders had helmets, horse back riders.) I've seen a few who drank out
of stock tanks, they get violently ill afterward. Someone "lost" for
up to 60 days has alot of issues to deal with, including dehydration
and starvation!

I mention food because in my situation, I am actively working and we
need fuel to keep going. Our isn't a "survival" situation, and neither
is a regular hike, unless something goes wrong. First rule of SAR is
SAFETY....take care of yourself and your team member, or you will
become a search subject!

In a survival situation in the heat, your concept is sound...conserve
water. However, the other half of the year (up in the high country) in
the COLD, food=fuel=heat (metabolism). You would probably be more
likely to succumb to hypothermia before dehydration in that case.

Just some ramblings....
Trisha
Lightning ~ Prescitt

</ramble>

"Holmes, Richard" wrote:

> Be careful of food in a survival situation. One can go about 60 days
> without
> food; most of us probably have even greater reserves. Food digestion
> also
> consumes great quantities of water, which one can't afford to use
when
> surviving. Given a choice, I'll take water over food.
>
> Creepin' Jeepers

scout&amp;quot; variety
href="http://mail.brasher.com//jump/http://finance.yahoo.com&quot;&gt;http://finance">http://mail.brasher.com//jump/http://finance.yahoo.com&quot;&gt;http://finance</a>
href="http://mail.brasher.com//jump/http://listserv.azgeocaching.com/mailman">http://mail.brasher.com//jump/http://listserv.azgeocaching.com/mailman</a>