[Az-Geocaching] Death of geocacher Mike Curtin (a.k.a. FHR Rangers) due to heat in Orange County, CA

Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:59:23 -0700 (PDT)

According to our Posse Operations Manual (and many good hiking books,
probably) both driver and observer must have an "Observer Kit" (pack)
with the following REQUIRED items:

1. VHF 16 channel hand held radio (I add batteries and make sure the
nicad        pack is charged)  This radio transmits on Sheriff, PD,
Fire Dispatch, Forest Service and well as our SAR -search and rescue -
channels. Geocachers who are Hams might carry a handheld that can
reach local repeaters. Worn on outside of uniform.....Sorry, I
digress....

2. GPS Unit (again, extra batteries. We never know how long we will be
out)

3. "Space" blanket (emergency blanket)

4. Matches (waterproof)

5. Knife

6. Magnetic Compass and map(s) of area

7. Flashlight (again, batteries, I carry a spare bulb too)

8. Whistle

9. Clipboard/pens/log/assignment sheet

10. Water

11. Food

12. Cell Phone

These items are considered "Nice" (optional)

strobe light
belt canteen
sleeping bag (I dont carry on my observer pack, but have in car)
First Aid Kit/personal meds (I carry this as an essential)
Signal Mirror
Personal Tissue (TP) (again, an essential)
Rain/Parka Suit  (essential depending on season)

Of course, everybody can personalize what they carry, but the basics
are water, some food, communication (radio, cell, whistle, mirror),
shelter, First Aid, Fire, navigation....in case you get lost or
injured.

Depending on weather, I add gloves and hat. I also add sunscreen and
lip screen. Small items, but important.

Hope that helps some.

Trisha  "Lightning"
Yavapai Co. Jeep Posse Searchers
Prescott

"Team Tierra Buena" wrote:

> > In our search and rescue posse, we are required to have a
> > pack ready at all times with the "ten" (+) essentials
and