[Az-Geocaching] Death of geocacher Mike Curtin (a.k.a. FHR Rangers) due to heat in Orange County, CA

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 03 Sep 2002 21:54:48 -0700

At 07:59 PM 9/3/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Sad to hear about the death of a fellow geocacher.  Good reminder of the
>dangers of being out in the backcountry.  I'd guess that the rates of cachers
>getting into trouble will be similar to those of regular hikers.  Besides
>those of us who are a bit more aware of the dangers, there are many who are
>relatively inexperienced outdoors amoungst our number (I'd guess just a

Being someone who grew up with the Clearwater National Forest in my
backyard, literally, I spent a lot of time in the backcountry and
outdoors.  That continued on when I was a forest fire fighter.  Even with
tons of experience in the outdoors, things can still happen that are beyond
your control, regardless of how prepared you are.

Those of us in the desert tend to be a little more prepared for being out
in the heat than those in places that only get hot occasionally, but that
is still no guarantee.  Even on the easiest hike just about anything could
happen.

I would also like to see the list of 10 essentials and compare that to my
own list that I have come up with over the years.  Perhaps compiling a list
would be a good thing to post to azgeocaching.com.