[Az-Geocaching] [OT] Security Implications with Web Based Greeting Cards

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:44:59 -0700

> Greeting cards have always been about harvesting e-mail
> addresses.  Hardly
> anyone ever gives you something for nothing, and there are
> definatly not that
> many people trying to give out free greeting cards.  The
> company in the
> article is just doing the step in their scummy e-mail
> harvesting technique.

What takes this to the next level of depravity, though, is that when you
accept their EULA and download the active-X control, it will locate your
mail client and "harvest" all the email addresses in YOUR address book!
And because you agreed to it when you accepted the EULA, it's perfectly
legal for them to do this!

The words I would use to properly describe these weasels are not fit for
this list or anywhere else. In fact, I apologize to the world's weasels
for insulting them in this fashion.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena