[Az-Geocaching] RE: Travel Bugs revisited (Ken Akerman)

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:11:20 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C28C00.D9E2C000

Ken, =20

About the only way to solve this problem is not placing a Travel Bug in a=
 cache unless you know that you can get to a computer to log it within a =
reasonable time.

Rand =20
 =20
----- Original Message -----
From: ken@highpointer.com
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 5:03 PM
To: az-geocaching@listserv.azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] RE: Travel Bugs revisited (Ken Akerman)
 =20
I wish there was a way to immediately log a cache finding and a travel bu=
g as soon as you find a cache.  When I travel, I like to find caches, and=
 particularly I like to move travel bugs that I find in caches near my ho=
me to caches as far away as possible, to put more miles on them.  However=
, when I am on the road I may not be able to get to a computer for severa=
l days.  This poses a problem for travel bugs, because someone may find t=
he travel bug before I get a chance to enter it at home or at the office.=
 =20
For example, while in Utah I put a travel bug in a cache, and while hikin=
g out I encountered the next group of local geocachers en route to the ca=
che.  I told them about the travel bug that I had put in it, and they agr=
eed not to log their travel bug finding until I had a chance to enter the=
 travel bug when I got home, which was two days later.  However, if I had=
 not encountered those geocachers on the way out, they would have picked =
up the travel bug and likely would have tried to enter it before I had a =
chance to enter it at home. =20
What can you do about delayed updates to travel bug logs, when you are on=
 the road and are away from computer access for several days or more?  Th=
is appears to be a flaw in the travel bug system. =20
Ken

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C28C00.D9E2C000

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Ken, </DIV> <D=
IV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>About the only way to solve this problem is not plac=
ing a Travel Bug in a cache unless you know that you can get to a compute=
r to log it within a reasonable time.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Rand&n=
bsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PAD=
DING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-=