[Az-Geocaching] RE: Travel Bugs revisited (Ken Akerman)

Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:58:57 -0800 (PST)

--0-30178396-1037318337=:7405

I wish there was a way to immediately log a cache finding and a travel bug as soon as you find a cache.  When I travel, I like to find caches, and particularly I like to move travel bugs that I find in caches near my home to caches as far away as possible, to put more miles on them.  However, when I am on the road I may not be able to get to a computer for several days.  This poses a problem for travel bugs, because someone may find the travel bug before I get a chance to enter it at home or at the office.
For example, while in Utah I put a travel bug in a cache, and while hiking out I encountered the next group of local geocachers en route to the cache.  I told them about the travel bug that I had put in it, and they agreed not to log their travel bug finding until I had a chance to enter the travel bug when I got home, which was two days later.  However, if I had not encountered those geocachers on the way out, they would have picked up the travel bug and likely would have tried to enter it before I had a chance to enter it at home.
What can you do about delayed updates to travel bug logs, when you are on the road and are away from computer access for several days or more?  This appears to be a flaw in the travel bug system.
Ken

--0-30178396-1037318337=:7405

<P>I wish there was a way to immediately log a cache finding and a travel bug as soon as you find a cache.&nbsp; When I travel, I like to find caches, and particularly I like to move travel bugs that I find in caches near my home to caches as far away as possible, to put more miles on them.&nbsp; However, when I am on the road I may not be able to get to a computer for several days.&nbsp; This poses a problem for travel bugs, because someone may find the travel bug before I get a chance to enter it at home or at the office.
<P>For example, while in Utah I put a travel bug in a cache, and while hiking out I encountered the next group of local geocachers&nbsp;en route to the cache.&nbsp; I told them about the travel bug that I had put in it, and they agreed not to log their travel bug finding until I had a chance to enter the travel bug when I got home, which was two days later.&nbsp; However, if I had not encountered those geocachers on the way out, they would have picked up the travel bug and likely would have tried to enter it before I had a chance to enter it at home.
<P>What can you do about delayed updates to travel bug logs, when you are on the road and are away from computer access for several days or more?&nbsp; This appears to be a flaw in the travel bug system.
<P>Ken</P>
--0-30178396-1037318337=:7405--