[Az-Geocaching] batteries are they worth it?

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 11:07:54 -0700

On Thursday 14 November 2002 09:56 am, Scott Wood wrote:
> When I changed over, I bought one of the Rayovac 1 hour chargers.  It came
> with 2 batteries and I think I paid something like $24.95 for it.  It is a
> great charger and as I said, it fully charges a dead battery in about an
> hour, shorter if the battery already has a charge.

Jason and I have both used rayovac's one hour charger since the day they hit
the shelves.  It's an excelent charger that I carry everywhere with me that
my camera/GPS goes.  One VERY nice thing about the charger is it requires 12
volts input though a standard connector, so you can easily get a cable to
plug it into your car, some models even come with the cable. Then all you
have to do is carry one set of backup batteries, and they can be busy
charging from your last cache, back in the car.
One thing to keep in mind about NiMH battieries is that they de-charge
themselves by just sitting about doing nothing.  I've noticed with my digital
camera that if I put a set to freshly charged batteries into my camera and
then take pitures nonstop till they are dead, I get about the same amount if
not more pictures than when I sure good name brank alkalines, but if you let
the batteries sit around for a week or so and then use them in the camera
they definitely don't last as long.  They are NOT good emergency batteries,
by the time you get around to actually needing that flashlight, there will be
very little life left in it.  Your better off going with good
non-rechargeables for that purpose.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek