[Az-Geocaching] gggrrrrrrrrrr more mis infromation from the site stewards

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:42:08 -0700

On Tuesday 05 November 2002 04:44 pm, Team Tierra Buena wrote:
> Except that Site Stewards have no enforcement powers or
> responsibilities. I believe all *they* can legally do is notify the
> appropriate authorities. If the cache is placed with permission, no
> problem. If the responsible land management agency doesn't know it's
> there or why it's there, it's litter.

I would have no problem with Ms Rasmussen if that was all she was doing, heck,
I would even welcome it if she did have the power to do something about some
litter.  At least if she had some power she would be expect to punish/fine..
whatever the correct person.
But in reality what she is doing I believe is causeing much more damage than
any person should be allowed to cause something without following up with
some real proof.
I know that the article was written before the meeting, but given the tone of
the article and the way she left the meeting, I'm positive that she hasn't
changed her mind a bit, and in fact, we will probably be the first group of
people that she thinks of when she sees litter or damage.
I'm just afraid that if she keeps telling people that geocachers are horrible
people over and over again that they will start to believe it.

> number of communications channels were opened. Two: As a direct result
> of the article, more people in Arizona started Geocaching and came to
> this web site and list server than ever before. Brian or Jason can
> correct me, but I think the number of list server subscribers has just
> about doubled since the article ran.

I wish it was that good of a turn out.  The list went up by about 15 people
around the time of the article.  After a while the lookey loos bailed out and
we lost almost half that many.  We have over 140 people on the list
currently, so it was nowhere near half.

On a funny note, I just got a message last week from the guy that was accusing
us of running around his gated property and leaving trash including condoms
lying around.  He thought that we had subscribed him to the list to get him
back for the comment, and begged me to release him from that torture.

I just reminded him that I would never do that, and he had subscribed himself,
and pointed him in the direction of the web page to get unsubscribed.  I
don't know if he did get unsubscribed or not though.... but I thought it was
pretty funny that he tortured himself for his unfortunate comments.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek