[Az-Geocaching] gggrrrrrrrrrr more mis infromation from the site stewards

WOLFB8 listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 20:04:38 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_03B4_01C28506.92409840

Mike and Gale below is the article that is being talked about right =
now......

I guess what really has me upset at this point in time is that fact that =
the article is in the November 2002 issue of the watch.... this is over =
a month since the meeting happened...and there has been allot of time to =
rewrite it so that the true story was told...

the fact that all site stewards have now been misinformed and this was =
allowed...  To me the way the article was place in the new letter did =
not look like a editorial....it reads the same as the rest of the new =
letter and seems to present it self as a "guild line to follow"

I am planning on attending the steward training program this month so =
hopefully will be allowed to respond to this article in the dec issues =
of the watch...  =20

NEW OUT DOOR GAME IMPACTS ARCHAEOLOGY
By Shelley Rasmussen, Site Steward

in May oF 2000, the Clinton Administration took the restrictions off the =
OPS (Global Positioning System) to a!low the coordinates to be more =
accurate f0r civilians. Within a few days, geocaching was born. Since =
then, geocaching has become international, encompassing 134 countries =
and, as of August 2, 2002, there are over 34,000 active geocache sites. =
There are also over 800 geocaches in Arizona and the number is rt'sing =
exponentially.

what is geocaching? it is a high tech scavenger hunt that requires a =
computer; a OPS and in many cases a four wheel drive vehicle or an API. =
To play this game, the coordinates of a geocache are given on the =
internet, and then the idea is to go out into the field to find the =
cache, using a GPS. The cache is usually a Tupperware bow!, ammo can or =
plastic bucket. Within the container am trinkets or toys that the =
geocachers are to take one and leave one and return to the web site to =
disCuss their adventure, as well as, to keep track of how many geocaches =
they have Found. This is a great way to hone your navigational skills =
and a fun Family or group experience.

The problem that we have, as Site Stewards and members of the =
archaeological community, is that there are many archaeological sites =
that are being used for placing geocaches. The impact to these =
archaeological sites has been dramatic with artifacts being removed and =
in some cases the confidentiality of the location of the sites having =
been compromised. The environmental impact is also damaging, where the =
ATV's have driven off the roads and beaten new trails to the sites.

There is a rule on the geocache web site

o ~AMP~klPAC Lb

that claims that permission shouid be asked to place the cache whether =
it is located on private or pu6lic land. There is also a paragraph that =
states that as of May 28, 2002, archaeological sites are not to be used =
for geocaching and any caches located at or near an archaeological site =
should be moved. So far, no one has acknowledged this rule.

The land managers are working on pollcies dealing with this issue. =
Arizona State Land Department has proclaimed that geocaching is not =
allowed on Arizona State Trust Lands and geocaches will be confiscated =
and in order to claim their cache, the coordinates are given to the =
downtown office for Arizona State Trust Lands. BtM~s policy is that =
geocoching is permitted on their public land us long as the geocachers =
stay out of wilderness areas as well as cultural resource sites and =
special fragile areas. Maricopa County Parks discourages geacaching in =
the County ~arks and, not allowing geocachiny at archaeological sites,

We have no problem with geocaching, as long as the geocachers follow =
their own rules and stay away from the archaeological sites and be =
careful not to impact the environment in a negative way. We just ask for =
responsible geocaching.

To find out if there is geocaching going on in your area, go to

AKChALQ<LP LY

http://www.geocaching.com and enter your zip code. You will get a list =
of geacaches in the area and when you select one, you will gala read out =
and a map showing the geocache locations, as well as the coordinates.

As thIs newsletter goes to print, Mary Estes, the State Program =
Coordinator and Steve Gross, representing the Arizona geocachers, are =
planning a meeting to open dialogue between the Arizona Site Stewards =
and the geocachers. Representatives of the Site Program and various land =
managers have also been invited. We will report the results of this =
meetin~ in the next

WATCH.

We will be known by the tracks we leave behind
  ----- Original Message -----=20