[Az-Geocaching] gggrrrrrrrrrr more mis infromation from the site stewards

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 18:43:56 -0700

But you should know, and we may well have other newcomers to this list
that aren't aware of the article, either.

August 7 of this year, The "Arizona Republic" published a page one story
which, based almost entirely on an interview with Shelley Rasmussen,
blamed Geocachers  for vandalizing archaeological sites. I can hardly be
objective about it, but I felt the story was poorly researched and made
little pretense of balance.

However, the article generated at least two instances of the Law of
Unintended Consequences. One: It triggered a chain of events which led
to a meeting between about a dozen cachers and representatives from at
least as many land management agencies and organizations, at which a
number of communications channels were opened. Two: As a direct result
of the article, more people in Arizona started Geocaching and came to
this web site and list server than ever before. Brian or Jason can
correct me, but I think the number of list server subscribers has just
about doubled since the article ran.

So it's probably not a question of your getting all the Listserv e-mail,
if you've come on board within the past two months.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena