[Az-Geocaching] Sort Problem

Holmes, Richard listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 05:58:59 -0800

Brian,

In "Cache Status/Planning" I cannot sort on "Terrain", which I infer is an
intended function. Also, it would be handy to sort on "Distance in Miles",
which I assume is not an intended function.

Thanks for all the good work you've done on the site,

Dick Holmes
Creepin' Jeepers

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Cluff [mailto:brian@snaptek.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 12:04 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] gggrrrrrrrrrr more mis infromation from the
site stewards

On Monday 04 November 2002 11:09 pm, WOLFB8 wrote:
> By Shelley Rasmussen, Site Steward

Figures....

> The land managers are working on pollcies dealing with this issue. Arizona
> State Land Department has proclaimed that geocaching is not allowed on
> Arizona State Trust Lands and geocaches will be confiscated and in order
> claim their cache, the coordinates are given to the downtown office for

This is just outright false.  Geocaching is HIGHLY encouraged on state trust

land, as long as you have a permit and don't place a cache on an archeology
site.  With all the agencies that I talked to, this is also the one that
wasn't that worried about us staying on the trails at all costs.
The only part she got right was the part about the coords being placed at
the
location of any confiscated cache, and thats only going to happen if the
cache is a problem.
The state trust land people HAVE to make a proffit with the land that the
govt
has put them in charge of.  That was the condition that our govt gave them.

They aren't going to run a very large chunk of mostly environmentally
conscious, paying customers off their land, thats not good business
practice.

> We have no problem with geocaching, as long as the geocachers follow their
> own rules and stay away from the archaeological sites and be careful not
> impact the environment in a negative way. We just ask for responsible
> geocaching.

In other words, if we can float and leave NO foot prints, only put cache in
the middle of the trail, in plain sight, in the most boring spot on the
planet.  All the while floating and making sure that an indian has never
ever
set foot within a mile of where we are, and also making sure that nobody
else
in the universe that isn't a geocacher goes anywhere near any geocaches so
that we don't get the blame for their foot prints and twinky wrappers or
anything else they might do that would normally be out of our control....
then everything should be just hunky dory, and she will leave us alone and
go
back to keeping secret her secret archeology sites that are available on
maps
dating back 35+ years and available over the counter from any map store, or
in more mapping software that has labels for places.

...We've talked to her, and I know this appears to be written before the
meeting, but I guarantee that she hasn't changed her attitude a single bit.

I fear we will have more to hear from Shelly Rasmussen.

> As thIs newsletter goes to print, Mary Estes, the State Program
Coordinator
> and Steve Gross, representing the Arizona geocachers, are planning a
> meeting to open dialogue between the Arizona Site Stewards and the
> geocachers. Representatives of the Site Program and various land managers
> have also been invited. We will report the results of this meetin~ in the
> next

Please send any follow up's our way, I would be very interested to see what
she says.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek