[Az-Geocaching] gggrrrrrrrrrr more mis infromation from the site stewards

WOLFB8 listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 23:09:10 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0319_01C28457.2F31A8C0

MessageJust recieved a copie of the arizona watch wich is the site =
stwarts little paper.....read it for your self (see below it from a =
scan) but as far as what i get out of it guess we were just spinning are =
wheels at the meeting 2 months ago....but from reading it one sure can =
tell were al the misinformation that the paper came from....dam me just =
about want to go and replace the cache of mine that i =
archived.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

 NEW OUT DOOR GAME IMPACTS ARCHAEOLOGY

By Shelley Rasmussen, Site Steward

in May oF 2000, the Clinton Administration took the restrictions off the =
OPS (Global Positioning System) to a!low the coordinates to be more =
accurate f0r civilians. Within a few days, geocaching was born. Since =
then, geocaching has become international, encompassing 134 countries =
and, as of August 2, 2002, there are over 34,000 active geocache sites. =
There are also over 800 geocaches in Arizona and the number is rt'sing =
exponentially.

what is geocaching? it is a high tech scavenger hunt that requires a =
computer; a OPS and in many cases a four wheel drive vehicle or an API. =
To play this game, the coordinates of a geocache are given on the =
internet, and then the idea is to go out into the field to find the =
cache, using a GPS. The cache is usually a Tupperware bow!, ammo can or =
plastic bucket. Within the container am trinkets or toys that the =
geocachers are to take one and leave one and return to the web site to =
disCuss their adventure, as well as, to keep track of how many geocaches =
they have Found. This is a great way to hone your navigational skills =
and a fun Family or group experience.

The problem that we have, as Site Stewards and members of the =
archaeological community, is that there are many archaeological sites =
that are being used for placing geocaches. The impact to these =
archaeological sites has been dramatic with artifacts being removed and =
in some cases the confidentiality of the location of the sites having =
been compromised. The environmental impact is also damaging, where the =
ATV's have driven off the roads and beaten new trails to the sites.

There is a rule on the geocache web site

o ~AMP~klPAC Lb

that claims that permission shouid be asked to place the cache whether =
it is located on private or pu6lic land. There is also a paragraph that =
states that as of May 28, 2002, archaeological sites are not to be used =
for geocaching and any caches located at or near an archaeological site =
should be moved. So far, no one has acknowledged this rule.

The land managers are working on pollcies dealing with this issue. =
Arizona State Land Department has proclaimed that geocaching is not =
allowed on Arizona State Trust Lands and geocaches will be confiscated =
and in order to claim their cache, the coordinates are given to the =
downtown office for Arizona State Trust Lands. BtM~s policy is that =
geocoching is permitted on their public land us long as the geocachers =
stay out of wilderness areas as well as cultural resource sites and =
special fragile areas. Maricopa County Parks discourages geacaching in =
the County ~arks and, not allowing geocachiny at archaeological sites,

We have no problem with geocaching, as long as the geocachers follow =
their own rules and stay away from the archaeological sites and be =
careful not to impact the environment in a negative way. We just ask for =
responsible geocaching.

To find out if there is geocaching going on in your area, go to

AKChALQ<LP LY

http://www.geocaching.com and enter your zip code. You will get a list =
of geacaches in the area and when you select one, you will gala read out =
and a map showing the geocache locations, as well as the coordinates.

As thIs newsletter goes to print, Mary Estes, the State Program =
Coordinator and Steve Gross, representing the Arizona geocachers, are =
planning a meeting to open dialogue between the Arizona Site Stewards =
and the geocachers. Representatives of the Site Program and various land =
managers have also been invited. We will report the results of this =
meetin~ in the next

WATCH.

We will be known by the tracks we leave behind

------=_NextPart_000_0319_01C28457.2F31A8C0

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Message</TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR>
<DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR></DIR>
<P align=3Dleft>Just recieved a copie of the arizona watch wich is the =
site=20
stwarts little paper.....read it for your self (see below it from a =
scan) but as=20
far as what i get out of it guess we were just spinning are wheels at =
the=20
meeting 2 months ago....but from reading it one sure can tell were al =
the=20
misinformation that the paper came from....dam me just about want to go =
and=20
replace the cache of mine that i archived.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr</P>
<P align=3Dleft><STRONG>&nbsp;NEW OUT DOOR GAME IMPACTS =
ARCHAEOLOGY</STRONG></P>
<P align=3Dleft><STRONG>By Shelley Rasmussen, Site =
Steward</STRONG></P><FONT=20
size=3D1>
<P align=3Dleft>in May oF 2000, the Clinton <I>Administration </I>took =
the=20
<I>restrictions </I>off the OPS (Global Positioning System) to <I>a!low =
</I>the=20
coordinates to be more accurate f0r civilians. Within a few days, =
geocaching was=20
born. Since then, geocaching has become international, encompassing 134=20
countries and, as of August 2, 2002, there are over 34,000 active =
geocache=20
sites. There are also over 800 geocaches in Arizona and the number is =
rt'sing=20
exponentially.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P></FONT><FONT size=3D4>
<P align=3Dleft>what </FONT><FONT size=3D1>is geocaching? it is a high =
tech=20
scavenger hunt that requires a computer; a OPS and in many cases a four =
wheel=20
drive vehicle or an API. To play this game, the coordinates of a =
geocache are=20
given on the internet, and then the idea is to go out into the field to =
find the=20
cache, using a GPS. The cache is usually a Tupperware bow!, ammo can or =
plastic=20
bucket. Within the container am trinkets or toys that the geocachers are =
to take=20
one and leave one and <I>return to </I>the web site to </FONT><FONT=20
size=3D1>disCuss </FONT><FONT size=3D1>their adventure, as well as, to =
keep track of=20
how many geocaches they have Found. This is a great way to hone your=20
navigational skills and a fun Family or group experience.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>The problem that we have, as Site Stewards and members =
of the=20
archaeological community, is that there are many archaeological sites =
that are=20
being used <I>for </I>placing geocaches. The impact to these =
archaeological=20
sites has been dramatic with artifacts being removed and in some cases =
the=20
confidentiality of the location of the sites having been compromised. =
The=20
environmental impact is also damaging, where the ATV's have driven off =
the roads=20
and beaten new trails to the sites.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>There is a rule on the geocache web site</P></FONT><FONT =
size=3D6>
<P align=3Dleft>o ~AMP~klPAC Lb</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P></FONT><FONT size=3D1>
<P align=3Dleft>that claims that permission shouid be asked to place the =
cache=20
whether it is located on private or pu6lic land. There is also a =
paragraph that=20
states that as of May 28, 2002, archaeological sites are not to be used =
for=20
geocaching and any caches located at or near an archaeological site =
should be=20
moved. So far, no one has acknowledged this rule.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>The land managers are working on pollcies dealing with =
this issue.=20
Arizona State Land Department has proclaimed that geocaching is not =
allowed on=20
Arizona State Trust Lands and geocaches will be confiscated and in order =
to=20
claim their cache, the coordinates are given to the downtown office for =
Arizona=20
State Trust Lands. BtM~s policy is that geocoching is permitted on their =
public=20
land us long as the geocachers stay out of wilderness areas as well as =
cultural=20
resource sites and special fragile areas. Maricopa County Parks =
discourages=20
geacaching in the County ~arks and, not allowing geocachiny at =
archaeological=20
sites,</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>We have no problem with geocaching, as long as the =
geocachers=20
follow their own rules and stay away from the archaeological sites and =
be=20
careful not to impact the environment in a negative way. We just ask for =

responsible geocaching.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>To find out if there is geocaching going on in your =
area, go=20
to</P></FONT><FONT size=3D6>
<P align=3Dleft>AKChALQ&lt;LP LY</P>
<DIR></FONT><FONT size=3D1>
<P align=3Dleft>http://www.geocaching.com and enter your zip code. You =
will get a=20
list of geacaches in the area and when you select one, you will gala =
read out=20
<I>and a </I>map showing the geocache locations, as well as the =
coordinates.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>As thIs newsletter goes to print, Mary Estes, the State =
Program=20
Coordinator and Steve Gross, representing the Arizona geocachers, are=20
<I>planning </I>a meeting to open dialogue between the Arizona Site =
Stewards and=20
the geocachers. Representatives of the Site Program and various land =
managers=20
have also been invited. We will report the results of this meetin~ in =
the=20
next</P></DIR>
<P align=3Dleft>WATCH.</P></FONT></FONT>
<DIV align=3Dleft>We will be known by the tracks we leave=20
behind</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0319_01C28457.2F31A8C0--