[Az-Geocaching] Coronado National Forest Closed

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 28 May 2002 13:44:49 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 28 May 2002, Scott Wood wrote:

> Since this is something that is most likely of interest to everyone who
> might be putting out urban caches, where did you find the log book for
> Rilito Park?  I went to Office Depot today to try and find something small
> enough for the cache I want to hide tonight but have had no luck so far.

I found a few of them over at the UofA bookstore on campus.  There weren't
too many left and I grabbed about 3 or 4 of them.  They are called "Necklace
Journals" and are perfect for a microcache like an Altoid can.  For those who
haven't visited Rillito Park yet (there are a few of you despite pretty good
activity the first 2 days it was out!), the logbook is a little 2.25 by 1.75
inch book with a colored cardboard cover.  It comes with a string so you can
hang it around your neck, though I cut the string off before putting it in
the cache.  I don't know who actually makes them, but the UofA bookstore has
a surprisingly diverse collection of logbooks and sketch books.  Some of them
are downstairs in the art section, and my new favorite for a regular cache
can be found upstairs in the area with notebooks.

> I hope that it survives.  I have never had the chance to get back there
> since we were unable to find it last time.  Given that the cache owners for
> this one are from out of state I doubt that we will get much response about
> it.  If it is lost, I will probably hide a new one in that area this fall.

Maybe someone should e-mail them and keep them posted on the fire.  I've been
meaning to get up on Mt. Lemmon and hunt out all those caches up there.

> As of right now, it looks like Scary and Hollywood are the only two that
> might be an issue.

Hopefully that's the case if the fire doesn't cross the Highway....  Cross
your fingers.  I was just talking with a friend who observes at the
telescopes near Mt. Bigelow.  That area is in quite a bit of danger.  The
largest telescope is probably ok since it is a metal building with about 20
feet of graveled buffer around it and moderate clearing further away.  A 2nd
telescope is right on the edge of the hill right up against the forest and is
wood and metal, so it is certainly in danger.  And there is a dormatory below
the telescope that is probably the most exposed.  I think the fire is now
within about 2.5 miles of the observatory which is less than a mile west of
the radio towers on Mt. Bigelow.  I remember the Mt. Graham fire a few years
ago which got within aobut 100 yards of one of the telescopes up there.  Some
hard work and some luck saved that building....

Jim.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu
University of Arizona