[Az-Geocaching] Re: Just an observation

Mike Schwarz listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 20:10:50

At 22:30:43 -0700 5/24/02, loran wrote:

>Not all cachers log there finds on the web site. When I first started
>caching I didn't sign up with geocaching.com but kept a record for myself on
>the caches I had found. Once I did register I found that some of the caches
>had been archived so I could not log these. At that point since my count was
>off  and I only logged finds that I felt where special (3 of 50).  Later I
>did find a way to log archived caches  so I made log entries for all of my
>finds.
>
>I wrote this to show that there may be many reasons why some one might not
>make log entries.
>
>I my experience I have found one cache missing  and two others that if I had
>read the log entries before attempting I would have know they where not
>active.
>Caches will disappear from time to time, and some people will vandalize
>them, but overall I believe thing are working out pretty well the way it is
>set up.
>
>Loran (Team Sand Dollar)

I pretty much agree with Loran.  Overall, at most caches, things
are working pretty well.  Except that if they're in a NF in AZ,
you can't get to them now.

I do have a friend, Bruce, that enjoys finding caches.  He's found
maybe 15-20.  And we're planning on hiking with a bunch of friends
near Sedona Sunday (wherever's open south of town), then finding
a couple caches in that area.  I've urged him a few times to get
a geocaching.com user ID and log his finds, but he just doesn't
want to bother.  He thinks it'll take up too much time.

Some people might be afraid they'll get more spam email if they
set up a user ID on geocaching.com, regardless of whether there's
any possibility of that or not.  Others just like the thrill of
being outside and locating the caches, but don't like to sit in
front of a computer any longer than they have to.

Mike
"Malthusian"