[Az-Geocaching] Why exclude non-smoking day hikers????

Ed Philpott listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 21 May 2002 11:23:46 -0700

I can't answer regarding day hikers, but I have been on fires that were
started by ATV's and shoes from a horse.  Northern Calif had a large fire a
couple of years ago that lost several homes due to horse back riders, if I
remember right it burned around 10,000 acres.  Anything that can generate a
spark, under the right conditions, can start smoldering and ignite later on.
A discarded glass bottle can do the same thing.  I think there is almost a
bigger problem with home owners starting fires with mowers and trimmers that
can spread into the forests.  The largest fires in Ca, both by acres and
structures lost, were either powerline related, equipment or lighting and a
few by arsons.

Ed Philpott
Trail Gypsy

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of Mike
Schwarz
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 10:40 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Why exclude non-smoking day hikers????

This post isn't directed to anyone in particular, although a reply
from forestry or fire-fighting people, in Prescott or elsewhere,
would be nice.

I don't mean to drag out an issue unnecessarily, but wanted a reason
why for one aspect of the closures.

I read about the abundant abandoned campire sites in Prescott Natl
Forest, even when campfires were banned.  Were any of these left
by day hikers???  I'm sure not.  I would bet that in all of these
cases, somebody drove in on a dirt road with a pickup or SUV,
stayed overnite, and built those fires.

I enjoy hiking in the national forests during the hot summer months-
Coconino, Prescott, Tonto, etc.  Oftentimes these are day hikes,
where we park at a trailhead, spend 3 to 6 hours walking along a
shady trail, then head back to Phoenix.  I have been with groups
of up to 20 people doing this, and I have NEVER, EVER seen a person
bring a cigarette, matches, cigarette lighter, or anything combustible.

The campfire builders are almost always people driving in in VEHICLES.
Once in a blue moon, backpackers might build a campfire, but most of
them are responsible and would abide by fire restrictions.  The
DAY HIKERS have absolutely no reason to ever build a fire, and I
have never seen them bring anything along that could do so.  So,
why is it day hikers are not allowed to enter the national forests
with these closures?  Can somebody tell me what a day hiker could
possibly do to harm the forest?

I personally wouldn't mind if my day pack was searched by a forest
ranger, before heading down the trail.  Couldn't they allow NONSMOKING
day hikers in?  Can any of the forestry or fire-fighting people give
me a specific instance of a forest fire that was started by a day hiker?

In my opinion, the ban on entry to national forests should only apply
to people in vehicles, and those intending to stay overnite.  Day hikers
should still be allowed in, perhaps with their packs being searched,
and having them "sign in" and "sign out" at the trailhead.  There is no
threat of forest fires from nonsmoking day hikers, even with the
tinder-dry conditions we have right now.

Mike (Malthusian)