[Az-Geocaching] Prescott Fire: Caches affected or burned?

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 19 May 2002 21:28:48 -0700

At 06:43 PM 5/19/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>Probably because I was experienced (?), the following encounters with crown
>fires weren't as frightening, but still quite impressive.  Watching Santa

I am not sure that I was ever afraid when a fire unexpectedly crowned over
us, but as I said, it is an experience that you will not soon forget.  The
thing that always worried us would be working on a steep hillside and have
the wind change.  Fire can climb a steep hillside very fast.

>almost as well as a moist one.  As Scott mentions a creek or stream is
>great, if it has enough water in it to help.  However, I haven't seen many

I never fought fire in a place that was really lacking for water.  Unless
you count the fires that would start 5 miles from the nearest road and all
you had was what you could carry on your back or have the helicopter drop
off for you.  In some cases you could blast a small pond in a stream and
get enough water to work with, other times you just fight fire with dirt.

I imagine that it is a completely different ballgame down here in the
desert where almost all of the fuel is within a couple feet of the ground,
and water is pretty scarce.

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache