[Az-Geocaching] fire

Sun, 19 May 2002 12:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Darren, and I just want to say that I, as every other
volunteer, play a small (but hopefully important) part in a huge
network of effort for something as potentially and actually devasting
as a big fire like this. We got VERY VERY lucky (weather cooperating)
as well as all the very hard work by so many.

The Capt of our Jeep Posse made the front page of our local Prescott
Sunday paper, shaking hands with two of the fire fighters who managed
to save his home (one of whom is my 8th grade daughter's science
teacher and also a SAR volunteer). Our Capt's house was fire-foamed
three times, and the propery de-nuded, (fire crews cut everything on
one side down) but the house was saved, and it was next to some of the
5 that were not.

Our hearts go out to to families that lost homes (5 or so) but it
could have EASILY been 50, 500 or even 1500. And it is only mid-May!
We have about 2 months until significant rain....and this fire was
human caused (I drove by the investigators at the point of origin on
Friday while making water/lunch runs to our folks manning a few
roadblocks. The point of origin was right off a road....the whole area
north and west like an eerie ash-colored/stick tree moonscape. I PRAY
PRAY PRAY that they close the forests ENTIRELY so some other idiot
can't burn more of it!!! 2 months of restrictions is a SMALL price to
pay.)

I have 175 emails to read right now, so I don't know if I am saying
something that someone else already said, it so, I apologize!

If anyone is interested, the website for the Prescott Daily Courier
newspaper is www.prescottaz.com and it contains stories and pics.
There are at least three links right on top to click on.

Keep praying, everyone, and be careful out there!!!

Trisha "Lightning"
Yavapai Co. Jeep Posse

On Fri, 17 May 2002, "Darren Johnson" wrote