[Az-Geocaching] Prescott Fire: Caches affected or burned?

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 11:06:55 -0700

>Are there any caches that are known or likely to be consumed by the fire?
>
>Quartz Mountain Cache
>by Yavapai Co. Jeep Posse~ Rich (#1967)
>ALERT! The cache no longer exists, whether by act of nature or other
>circumstance.
>
>This cache had been archived before the fire.
>
>As reported by Lightning "Yup, Quartz Mtn is not only archived, it is
>toast."

So, Quartz Mountain Cache was not archived due to the fire?

I am curious to know: will an ammo box hold up thru a forest fire? I would
guess not. But, I don't know! They are military type boxes. I would guess
the seals would probably melt. Whether the metal box would hold up would
just depend on how hot it gets. Perhaps it would get so hot the contents
inside would melt and maybe not the box itself? Also, if the ammo box was
under some rocks, it could be possible it might stand a chance of surviving
a fire as well. hhmm. Just some wandering thoughts I am having! :) Kinda
curious! Perhaps we should test this theory and stick an ammo box in my
backyard BBQ! :) LOL (just make sure the very original contents arent still
in it, of course!!! LOL )

I heard there was a forest fire fighter on this list. Does anyone know what
temperature the forest floor can reach during a fire?

Now... if we could make a geocache container out of Inconel (a type of
metal), it would hold up very well in a forest fire! My hot air balloon
burner coils are made out of Inconel. It is a rather expensive metal, but,
can take an icredible amount of heat. My balloon burner puts out 25.7
million (yes, million) BTU's of heat at it's highest output. Typically flies
at around 17 million. That is alot of heat folks! :)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind