[Az-Geocaching] Prescott Fire: Caches affected or burned?

Highpointer listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 17 May 2002 09:18:30 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1383311597-1021652310=:90487

A previous Geocacher wrote:

BTW, to everyone else, this fire was apparently started by campers, despite signs and fines regarding campfires.  The Prescott community is asking for a closureto the Prescott Natl forest until the fire danger decreases.

In order to make this post related to Geocaching, I'm wondering how many caches were in locations affected by the fire?  Are there any caches that are known or likely to be consumed by the fire?

Also, I know that many forest fires are started naturally by lightning - but because there have been no lightning strikes in this area, it is speculated that this fire was caused by careless actions of people.

At least one of the regular readers to this forum is a former forest fire fighter, so he may know the answer to this question.  Some other people may have professional backgrounds in areas such as forestry or natural resources, so they may have know about forest fire causes as well.  Therefore the question is:   Besides lightning, is there any other way that a forest fire could start by natural causes?

Highpointer