[Az-Geocaching] Geocachers who start out in Geocaching enthusiastically, but drop out abruptly

Highpointer listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:10:15 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2080723265-1021590615=:54500

I've found it interesting how some people seem to come and go in the geocaching activity.   For example, there is a cache in the Ahwatukee side of South Mountain Park called Careful! The neighbors are watching... by Lonecoyote.   According to Lonecoyote's profile, this is the only cache placed by this person, and he or she has never reported that they have found a geocache.
It took me three attempts to find this cache, and I finally found it with the help of previous logs and a picture.  It is well-hidden and thus not likely to be found accidentally by a non-geocacher.  In reading the recent logs, it appeared that the camera in there was full and had been full for a long time.  I recovered the camera and sent a note to Lonecoyote asking how I could return the camera to him/her. I never got a response to that e-mail or a subsequent follow-up e-mail, so I decided to send in the camera to PhotoWorks.com to get the pictures developed myself.  I have the print and digital images (I may make a collage out of them, but I haven't gotten around to doing that yet), but it appears that Lonecoyote has never returned to the cache to replace the camera.

The cache is still active, however, as it still receives regular visits and has recorded a find less than a week ago.  Therefore, in this instance I don't think it would be a good idea to automatically archive the cache, because it is still in good condition (except that it is missing the camera).   Perhaps we could modify the automatic archive proceedure to archive all caches owned by a person who has not logged on within the past 60 days, and which have not recorded a find during that time.  Therefore, active caches with inactive owners like  Careful! The neighbors are watching... would still be listed, but presumably or potentially lost caches with inactive owners, like Time is Running by Brent, would be automatically archived.

There is another geocacher who I am aware of who started geocaching in November 2001 and exceeded over 100 cache findings in less than two months, but this person has not logged a new cache finding since early February, and last logged onto Geocaching.com nearly a month ago (April 23).  I wonder why such a person would start out geocaching with such great enthusiasm, yet drop out as abruptly as he went into it?

Highpointer