[Az-Geocaching] Re: More on abandoned Caches

Scott Nicol listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 14:55:22 -0700

>From: Mike Schwarz <malthusian@mindspring.com>

>As far as I'm concerned, the biggest problem is people just plain
>dropping out of geocaching, whether they live close to their Caches
>or not.  Then they won't do anything for their Caches, regardless of
>what happens.  Off tip-off to a possible dropout: if the date they
>last logged in to Geocaching.com is quite some time ago, they've
>probably dropped out.  You can see this if you check someone's
>profile, if you're logged in.

Ok. I was going to stay out of this one (even though my post on Bass
Ackwards Cache started it and even though my post had nothing to do with the
subject this thread has become! :) LOL

Anyways, I think Mike brings up a good point. Perhaps Jeremy I. Should
consider requiring a cacher to log in to their geocaching.com account at
least once every 30 days (or 60 days perhaps). This to keep their account
active. If they dont, then their account is deleted and their caches are
automatically archived.

Does this seem realistic? Any thoughts on this? I think it seems like a good
idea.

This would accomplish two things:
1:)It would save space on the Geocaching.com server as there is probably a
ton of space being used up by inactive accounts that really arent being used
anymore. They are just sitting there taking up space.
2:)It will simply help active cachers know that the caches that are out
there are likely current and being kept up by the cache owners.

Any thoughts on this? I think that anyone that is an active cacher easily
checks into their account at least once a month (and probably several times
daily! :)

I know my Hotmail email account must be checked into at least once every 60
days (or something like that) to remain active. Otherwise, my account would
close and I would lose all my emails.

-------------------

On the subject of cache owners checking on their caches regularly: I
understand that many cachers cannot check on them on the drop of a note. It
just isnt realistic. I got an email from a cacher that has two caches in the
East Valley/Mesa area and he is a snowbird. Lives in Minnesota in the
summer. Here in the winter. The email asked me if I would watch over his two
caches while he was gone. I responded a bit late to that email and he
already found someone willing to do so. But, I told him I would certainly go
check on one if needed. I have found both of those caches. They are both not
more than 30 minutes from my house. I am not going to keep a watchful eye on
them or the cache pages. The cache owner is very capable of watching the
internet to see how his caches are doing. However, if he see's a few no find
logs and emails me asking me if I would go check on them... I certainly
would.

I do feel it is the cache owners responsibility to see that their caches are
kept current. However, I do think it is just fine for a cache owner to ask
of another geocacher to check on their cache if they cant get over to it
quick enough. If there are several no find logs, the cache owner could at
least post a note saying the cache is currently unavailable until they or
someone else can check on it. Then, if another cacher wants to take a chance
searching for a cache that is potentially missing (has several no find
logs).. well, they have been pre-warned. They would do better to simply wait
a few weeks until it can be updated.

There is a cache up in north Phx that Libby planted- Winter Wonderland. It
is very well hidden in some really deep rocks. A large area of rocks. When I
was there and logging my visit in the cache logbook, a gust of wind knocked
the lid off the rocks and into the rocks. It went WAY down! I couldnt find
it after nearly 20-30 minutes of searching. It was seemingly gone! Anyways,
as soon as I got home, I emailed Libby and told her what I had done and how
clumsy I am (! LOL). I offered to replace the lid for her. I live in the
east valley probably over 40 miles from this particular cache. But, I felt
it was MY responsibility to go back up and replace the lid. Libby has alot
of caches hidden and it is nearly impossible for her to keep a daily check
on them all. So, I felt it was my duty to do my part to replace the lid. In
the meantime, I had covered it up with a mat that was laying nearby and put
a rock over it to protect in. About 2 days later, I ran by Libby's and
picked up a new lid she had left out for me and I went up and replaced the
lid while on my way to a few other caches that day.

I am sure any other geocacher would have done the same thing if that had
happened to them. At the very least, a note for the next geocacher to bring
a lid could be posted. Then, I am sure the next cacher would bring a lid if
they had one available. I know one cacher that actually carry's spare
logbooks in case he finds one is full.

These are just little things we all can do to help maintain the 'currency'
of OUR geocaches.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind