[Az-Geocaching] More on abandoned Caches

Highpointer listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 16 May 2002 09:47:10 -0700 (PDT)

--0-126580715-1021567630=:6952

Fedl writes:

Especially considering that usually utility boxes get visited once every couple of weeks and are actively being monitored 24/7 by remote... I'll bet you if something happened to that utility box, somebody would be therewithin 24 hours.

This is a poor analogy.  It's comparing apples to oranges.  First of all, most of us cannot afford to build a cache that has a monitoring system that will enable the owner to know its conditions and whereabouts all the time.  Second, it something happens to a utility box, the person who will go out there is an employee of the owner of the box who is doing his job and thus is compensated for his time and effort to go out there.  On the other hand, we geocachers are doing this as a hobby, and most of us have some more important things in our lives than geocaching (i.e. our own jobs, family, friends, home, education, etc.).

Highpointer