[Az-Geocaching] Bass Ackwards Cache

Bob Renner listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 15 May 2002 15:35:21 -0700 (PDT)

My cache in the Grand Canyon at the bottom of Bright
Angel Trail is a real cache.  There is a container and
a log book.  I recently received a log report that the
log book was full.  I sent an email to the Park and
asked if they could replace the log book, which I have
since found out they did.

In case you are wondering how I managed to place this
cache and get the Park to maintain it, it's simple.
The container and the log book were already there.
It's a wooden box with a hinged cover and the log book
is a visitor log that the Park put there years ago.  I
just set it up as a geocache with a cache page,
coordinates and all.  I haven't heard of any
complaints from the Park.  It's located where tourists
frequent so it's not "off-trail" or in a sensitive
area.

There is another similar cache in the Desert
Watchtower on the East Rim Drive.  There is also a
virtual cache at Plateau Point 1.5 miles north of
Indian Gardens.