[Az-Geocaching] Bass Ackwards Cache

Wed, 15 May 2002 14:40:38 -0700 (PDT)

I've thought of another "loophole" for placing caches at neat spots on
NPS land....make it a multi-cache, with the initial coord's NOT on NPS
land, so when the NPS checks the websites for caches on their land,
(which we all know they do!) it won't come up as on NPS land. Then,
have the next or one of the next points of the multi-cache be on NPS
land, with the clues/coord's in the first site. Only problem, if a
Ranger/Geocacher goes to the first cache of the multi, then they would
know, or if they saw/caught anybody red-handed.....but ya didn't hear
it from me!!! (All you Rangers out there who monitor this list-serve!)

Or, alternatively, and more legally, make one of the legs of the
multi-cache a "virtual" within the NPS land. No container, no problem,
but still get to enjoy the scenery, and have the final cache not be on
NPS land....

(In disguise)
Lightning

On Wed, 15 May 2002, "Scott Nicol" wrote

> >From: "Hap McDaniel" <happeninghap@hotmail.com>
> >To: arizcowboy@hotmail.com
> >Subject: Re: ropingthewind contacting you from Geocaching.com
> >Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 20:10:38 -0700
> >
> >Hi Scott,
> >Bass Ackwards is no longer there. Sorry. NPS did'nt like it.
> >                        hap
> >
> >Hap McDaniel
> >Phoenix AZ USA
> >602-909-8672
> >n.33.51559
> >w.112.12347
> >happeninghap@hotmail.com
> >www.geocities.com/happeninghaps

> Howdy AZ geocachers,
>
> Some sad news as I awake this morning to read my emails. Above is
the email
> from Hap McDaniel in response to my email to him about the Bass
Ackwards
> Cache. You know, the cache that is over 530 days old without a find!
That is
> the official news from the cache owners mouth.
>
> Am I the first geocacher to actually inquire to the cache owner
about this
> cache? Team Ropingthewind has been planning and plotting for a
couple of
> weeks now for an attempt at this cache this upcoming weekend. But,
we can
> rest now! We have wanted to do it for several months now but the
North Rim
> of the Grand Canyon is closed for the winter and didnt reopen until
May
> 10th. We hoped to do it last weekend, but, business changed our
plans. So,
> this was to be the weekend.
>
> For those wishing to know... there was a trail to the cache. North
Bass
> Trail. It appears to be a little used trail. I sent another email to
inquire
> about the condition of that trail, but, havent gotten a response as
of yet.
> That was still our big question. Where did the trailhead start and
could we
> drive to it? The cache appeared to be only about 400' off the trail
> (according to my mapping software). No permits were needed except
for
> overnight stays (backcountry permit). It is possible to hike to the
bottom
> of the canyon and back up in one LONG day. I have done it (even
though the
> National Park says over and over on it's web site that it shouldnt
be
> attempted). Day hiking did not require a permit. Just a park
entrance fee.

> Geez, and just when we thought we might finally beat Loran to a
first! ;)

> Well, I am kinda bummed. We were excited about possibly being the
first to
> that cache. We are only 4 caches away from the big #200 and we were
hoping
> to make Bass Ackwards #200! Hmm. Maybe Bronco Butte?
>
> I wonder why no one else ever even inquired about this cache to the
cache
> owner? I wonder why it was never archived? It appears the cache
owner works
> for the NPS? It appears there are 2 other caches in the canyon. One
near the
> bottom of the Bright Angel Trail (perhaps?). I wonder what the
status of
> those caches are since the NPS does not allow caches on their land?
>
> A question to ponder: if a cache is found at least once every 24
hours, does
> that make it not abandoned property? If I remember from a past post
on the
> list here, someone said the NP does not allow caches because they
consider
> it abandoned property and property cannot remained unattended for
more than
> 24 hours (or something like that). SO, if someone places a cache on
NP land
> that is pretty easily accessible and close to a city (like Saguaro
NP in